PDA

View Full Version : Is my under cabinet light doing good?

g libby
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
When I origionally set up my fish room, in my sunroom, I built a wood rack that was easiest for me to work with but didn't leave room for lights. Sunroom, who needs lights? I relied on the sun. Last summer I had a great colection of plants in there. Winter and the sun is lower, in the sky, and days shorter. Never noticed the plants were dying. There were too many great plants in the auction and I had picked some up and kept adding and never noticed what was happening. Last week I was in Lowes and saw (and bought) an under counter light with 3- 20W- 12V- xenon bulbs. it's perfect. I was able to screw it into the wood and only took 1" of space. I can see my fish. The question is the subject. Is it helping my plants? I may not know for sure until next winter because the days are getting longer but wonder if anyone has any idea. Do I have to double the fixture? Doing good? or is it just to see into the tanks? George

Demonfish
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I've used under-cabinet fluorescents and a single tube is very like a single-tube aquarium fixture. But I know nothing about the xenons.

geotek
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Any idea what spectrum of light these bulbs put out? Also, how does their light output per watt compare to screw in fluorescent bulbs?

g libby
02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Any idea what spectrum of light these bulbs put out? Also, how does their light output per watt compare to screw in fluorescent bulbs?
As I said in my post. There are 3 xenon 12 volt 20 watt bulbs in the fixture. All it means to me is that I can see the fish. Really I don't know anything about it other that it seemed bright and only took 1 inch of space which is what I needed. The 3 sections are sheilded with the reflectors facing down. I could not resist. If it helps plants, I can leave it on for as many hours as needed or just turn it on when I want to clean or see what is happening. If it is a good thing I may go back and get more.