PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Bamboo

Garfieldnfish
03-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Is anyone else using it? I do not have a green thumb.
In some of my tanks these plants only lasts for a few months to a year but in others I had them for over 5 years and the stuff does great. $10 bucks for about 25 plants at Lowes is a great deal for a low light, no maintenance plant and most fish won't eat it at least not my goldfish, silver dollar, minnows, molly etc.

Poot
03-09-2010, 10:48 PM
I've heard it's not a true aquatic (I mean, it's bamboo!) I've seen Petco selling it fully submersed, Petsmart sells it partially submersed.

I was thinking about picking some up and keeping it in a betta tank with some pothos.

Demonfish
03-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I've heard bamboo will rot eventually if kept submerged. But if you can let it grow out of the tank in a sunny place, it does well. Same for pothos.

geotek
03-10-2010, 12:09 AM
It's a type of Dracena, and will only grow emersed (leaves up out of the water) although it will survive for a while underwater. Spider plants will also grow emersed and pennywort is another possibility.

Dino
03-10-2010, 12:10 AM
I have been growing it here partially submersed for about 5 years with no issues.
It seems to work well pulling nitrogen products out of the water.

Chris Noto
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
It's a type of Dracena, and will only grow emersed (leaves up out of the water) although it will survive for a while underwater. Spider plants will also grow emersed and pennywort is another possibility.
You are correct, Stephen! here's a link to an article on Lucky Bamboo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_sanderiana). Though not an aquarium plant, though, Dino is right, in that it will live a long time with its roots submerged and the leaves above the water line. One thing, though, Dracaenas will survive in low light conditions, but will definitely take all the light you can supply them, and grow far more vigorously, sucking more nitrogen out of the water, in high light conditions. Some Dracaenas are used has hedge and accent plants in South Florida. Yikes:

http://mgonline.com/media/Images/d/dracena02.jpg