PDA

View Full Version : Online Plant Vendors

Cratylus
03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Couldn't find a thread on this so I'm starting this one. I'm sure most of our members get their plants from other members, but I was wondering if anyone has found any reliable, reasonably priced online vendors who either specialize in plants or that have a decent selection of good quality plants. Might be a good place to keep a list of the good vendors and make this thread a "sticky".

kwseiders
03-18-2010, 04:37 PM
So far, I have only ordered plants online once. I ordered from www.aquariumplants.com The plants were delivered quickly (I did not pay for special overnight shipping) and were in great condition. I still have some of the plants from that original order (well, not the exact same plants, but descendants). The only thing I did not like is that the plants were not labelled, so I had trouble telling the echinodorus tenellus from the sagittaria subulata, and trouble telling the vallisnerias (of which I got 4 kinds) apart. Eventually, through growth and research, I was able to tell which were which, but it would have been much nicer if they were labelled. I did mention that to the company, and they may have fixed that over the years (I ordered more than 3 years ago). Of course, the ones that did not look alike were easy to tell apart. And the plants were great.

Larry Bugg
03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I have had numerous orders from AquariumPlants.com. In fact they were my source for my very first planted tank. They are very knowledgeable and friendly. Service has always been excellent. I have ordered other items from them also. They were generous enough to send me two complete top of the line CO2 systems to be auctioned off at the AGA convention in 2008. The only other online source I have used is the Swap and Shop at Plantedtank.net and I would highly recommend shopping there if you are not looking for a tank full of plants from one source. It is like buying from our mini auctions but you have to kick in the shipping cost. Prices are usually very reasonable and you know the plant is coming from another hobbyist and probably good quality.

hsd
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
The only place I've gotten plants online myself is from http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/ Just other people in the hobby selling trimmings to others.

jmhart
03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I have ordered from "Bob's Tropical Plants", the site run my Mgamer that some of you may have seen on other fourms:

http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/store/catalog/

Fast shipping, ok prices. One complaint, sold me E. aicicularis but has it labeled on the website as E. parvula. This is a common mistake, but a mistake none the less. The hairgrass was infested with duckweed and some other invasive plant that I can't recall it's name.

I have also ordered from Sweet Aquatics:

http://www.sweetaquatics.com/

I was very satisfied with this order. Large portions, fast shipping, great prices.

Eric
03-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I also ordered at aquariumplants.com and had the same experience Ken had, but since the plants were very different it was pretty easy.

I ordered there once and would never order again:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=768

Most of the plants were broken/rotten/melting; they were supposed to let me know when the package would arrive but they never did and it stayed in full warmth (middle of summer) for the entire day, which certainly didn't help the plants.

geotek
03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I have ordered from both AquariumPlants and AquaBotanica. AP's plants are healthy, but some of them are grown emersed and seem to have trouble transitioning to submersed growth, admittedly the Nesea species seem to be delicate. It would be nice if they had let me know what was emersed grown, so I could have grown it emersed for a while to stabilize it to local water conditions. That said, they do send healthy plants as does aquabotanica. I would order from either again.
If anyone is planning an order from either place let me know, maybe we can split shipping..just a thought.

ChloroPhil
03-20-2010, 11:40 AM
I second buying plants from APC or The Planted Tank's swap and shop areas. If you're looking for a large amount to start a new tank go with one of the cheap packages from a vendor.

Cheers,
Phil

liz3
03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
i received good quality plants from this shop.

http://stores.ebay.com/mikeswetpetsaquariumplants

good root and top growth, full plants. i will likely shop here again. thought the shipping rates were reasonable. he also has live food and driftwood.

guess i should state: he had a ton of different plants available when i ordered. guess he is replenishing inventory now.

g libby
03-29-2010, 12:23 PM
I do it all the time. There are plants that members are not growing like E. vesuvious.(it did not do well over the winter but is comming back) For the most part I have been happy. I don't know much, but even I can say some plants were misnamed and were grown under conditions that sellers admitted to after the sale ,but??
The only time I was really unsatisfied, and would not buy again is from Arizona Water Gardens. They had some plants I wanted to try but I needed a minimum purchase. I added some things and sent in my order. They do hold the right to make changes and I opted out. They were out of the plants I wanted so they sent me the reduced order and a refund. Actually I ended up with some great plants, just not the plants I wanted.