PDA

View Full Version : Hood/Lighting question

DaveofTn
03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Ok, I will try to cut back the questions in the near future. My new T5 HO light arrived yesterday. The problem is, the mounting bracket (hard black plastic) is in a U-shape that is meant to go on the lip of the aquarium. On the side of the bracket are screws meant to hold the bracket in place. This is not compatible with my glasstop hood which makes the aquarium have no lip. So the question is, do I leave the glasstop off so the bracket will work, or should I mod the bracket into an L-shape so I can keep the top on?

I have a rainbow shark (jumper?), gold gouramis, western australia rainbowfish (jumpers?), and cardinal tetras. I am thinking I should have the glasstop on and mod the bracket. Maybe put some velcro tape under the bracket so it does not slip off or move?

I will have pics of everything and post a review of the fixture tonight when I get home.

hsd
03-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Post up a picture of the light fixture. There are coralife fixtures which have a L shape bracket that attaches to them. I think a few other light fixtures use the same style of bracket. One of my fixtures I have the same issue so the light just sits across top of the glass top, haven't had any issues with it.

DaveofTn
03-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Well, here's the only pic I can find. If you look at the top picture, you can pretty much see the bracket. I am really tempted to cut the bracket into an L-shape and then epoxy it on to my aquarium. I would cut the part of the bracket that has the screw coming out. Then I would epoxy the left side and top of the bracket. That would give the light stability and let me have the glasstop. The only drawback I could foresee doing that is the bracket is made out of plastic and if it ever broke being epoxied on, that would suck trying to get the bracket off.

I would put the light directly on to the tank, but this is a $60 with shipping T5 HO fixture...it has no fans. I think it would put off too much heat and needs all the surface area it can get for heat dissipation.

http://shop.aquatraders.com/v/vspfiles/photos/52103-2.jpg

Demonfish
03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Do the legs come off? You can buy clear legs that sit on a tank at a LFS. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to make something out of wood that sits on the tank and it could clamp to.

Poot
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
You could go to Lowe's and buy a glass cutter, and cut your glass top so that there is ~1/2" from the two sides?

Actually, that may or may not work, depending on if you have a center brace. Don't the glass tops only bend one way? Just throwing it out there to consider.

hsd
03-31-2010, 10:58 AM
The groove in front of the light fixture there are legs that fit on those. Should be able to find them in most lfs. A few different types just have to find one that works.
http://stores.homestead.com/JJsReefAquarium/catalog/aqualight%20plus%20leg%20kit.jpg

HiImSean
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
The groove in front of the light fixture there are legs that fit on those. Should be able to find them in most lfs. A few different types just have to find one that works.
http://stores.homestead.com/JJsReefAquarium/catalog/aqualight%20plus%20leg%20kit.jpg
i've got a set ill sell for $5. its opened but never used

DaveofTn
03-31-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.topdawgpetsupply.com/product_images/28775_pid.jpg

The connectors for the light look just like those. They're rectangular metal brackets that slide in. Are the legs you have the same kind of connectors and do they mount underneath or on the side? $5 definitely sounds good. Would you care to ship to me, I will pay postage and handling, etc. Thanks!

hsd
03-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Those look like the right ones.

caricell
03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
I have used the four little legs for the longest time on my aqualight. They are ok, but I recently took the glass top off my tank and mounted the side-mounted mounts you are referring to. I like it better, because you can flip the light up when you need to work in the tank (or on the light). I had to actually cut a small notch in the plastic lip on the tank to allow those long screws to hold securely against the side glass.

Holding well so far.

'other' larry

(PS- I have extra closed packages of the four legs (clear or black) if you dont get them elsewhere.)

DaveofTn
03-31-2010, 02:18 PM
If I go without glass though, don't I have to worry about my rainbow shark jumping out?

ttstan
04-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Dave,
I was about to get the same light fixtures on Ebay - how is the quality and would you recommend buying it? They are selling them for about $70 each that comes with two 6700k bulbs.

link here: http://tinyurl.com/ybtcmsw

DaveofTn
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I would recommend. Just keep in mind my problem with the mounts. I wish I had seen your deal on ebay. I bought mine for $61 shipped from Aquatraders.com but it came with a 12000k and an actinic bulb which I am now having to replace the 12000K. The fixture has no fans, but it actually runs pretty cool long as you mount it. With no fans, I don't think it would be safe to set it directly on the canopy. The bulbs do run on the same switch and plug.

If there is anythiing specific you need to know, feel free to email me for a quicker response.

ttstan
04-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Sounds great. Thanks Dave!

DaveofTn
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh just to make a correction since it is clear, the bulbs run on the same switch/plug, but one will still work if you unplug the other.