PDA

View Full Version : vacation .. what to do with plants?

mrdomino
06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
just started keeping plants. have 2 90g full of of them with CO2, high lights .. etc.

anyway normally when i go on vacation i just don't feed my fish for 7 days and they've always survived (maybe a few casualties but nothing major like Discus dying). I keep the lights off and all is well when I get back.

My dilemma now is what to do with my planted tank? Can I do the same?.

thanks.

chevybow
06-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Fertilize before you go and have a good time.....Donny

kwseiders
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
I keep my lights on timers, so that when I go on vacation, the lights turn on and off automatically. The plants grow happily the whole time I am gone, and when I return, I just have to hack the forest into submission. I do not know how long you can leave the lights off without interrupting the plants. My vote is to put the lights on timers. I have been gone for 10 days at a time, and they are all perfectly happy when I return.

jmhart
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Ditto, lights on timers. Set it and forget it.

With a bit of cash and a little effort, you can set up auto water change systems, or even auto top offs, if you want/need to. I went to Europe for three weeks a few months back, but since I had everything from lights, to co2, to ferts, to water changes, automated, I had no issues. This was a fairly complicated and costly setup.

Last year, I went to Thailand for two weeks, and made a much less expensive setup. I simply filled up a 5g bucket full of water, and then put a powerhead with a tube attached inside, and then had it come on for a minute or two every few days. Kept the water nice and full.

geotek
06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I agree with the timer for the lights and CO2. An appliance timer such as sold at HD does the job. If you can switch half of your lights off, you wouldn't need to worry about fertilizing while you are gone and the plants would be fine with that for a week. High light plants won't like being in the dark for 7 days.

Larry Bugg
06-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I cut my lights way back while I am gone to slow the growth.

mrdomino
06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
thanks all for the the feedback.

i'm going with the timer route for the lights and CO2 .. but fish won't get food.

hsd
06-24-2010, 10:37 PM
At the moment I'm up in Canada, my tanks are in georgia. The tanks have timers for the lights, and autofeeders for the fish. I usually have the timers on the lights even when I am around, it just keeps a regular lighting schedule. If I'm going away for a longer period of time I might cut back on how long the lights are on, to slow down the growth.

Chris Noto
06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/forum/img/avatars/15.gif
Hardip, you are the master of the Animated GIF Avatar.
I love it!

sandyd
06-25-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree with the timer for the lights and CO2. An appliance timer such as sold at HD does the job. If you can switch half of your lights off, you wouldn't need to worry about fertilizing while you are gone and the plants would be fine with that for a week. High light plants won't like being in the dark for 7 days.
I agree and it's what I do....

If I am going to be gone for more than a few days I might change the lights to come on a little later in the day & stay on until I usually got to bed..
With the lights coming on and off people will think someone is inside. :)

hsd
06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/forum/img/avatars/15.gif
Hardip, you are the master of the Animated GIF Avatar.
I love it!
It's amazing what you can find with a google search. Running with scissors seemed fairly appropriate to me:p

Hilde
07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I have a low tech 29 gallon planted tank. I feed the fish with frozen shrimp a week before I leave. Cut the lights down to 5 hrs. When I get back after 2 weeks some of the plants are thin at the bottom.

I tried 2 different automatic food timer units 2xs. One time came back with unit clogged and fish dead. Other time came back with BBA over all of the plants. Thus I don't use them any more.