PDA

View Full Version : What can I keep Alive?

stuckinthemiddle
07-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I need a very low light, low maintenance plant for one of my 10g tanks that I keep a breeding pair of electric blue rams. I need something for extra coverage where my female can hide as the male is very aggressive. The only thing that i can keep alive is java moss. Duck week and frog bit even die.

Dont plants take in the the nitrates and nitrates? On my smaller breeding tanks, i do 50-75% water changes 2-3 times a week. Is this why plants never survive because there are very little nitrates, etc or do I have this all wrong?

hsd
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
You could try to float hornwort in the tank. It grows very rapidly and you'll probably find yourself cutting it down to size every few weeks. Should be able to give good cover to the female once it grows out. I've had it grow in a very low light tank before.

By the way the plant guide site is back up, http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php look through the list of low light plants.

sneasle
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Both my tanks are low light, <1watt/gal. I've managed to keep a few various mosses, java fern, a little anubis, and lots of swords growing and happy for quite a while.

geotek
08-04-2010, 07:00 PM
You can also attach hornwort to the bottom of the tank with or without a substrate using a small rock or similar weight if your tank doesn't have a strong current.

If your tank is less than 1 watt/gal plant nutrient needs will be low enough that I wouldn't worry about the plants having enough nitrates as long as their is a fish or two in the tank.

How much light do you have on the tank? A 20 watt T12 bulb will grow a range of plants, but much below that level you may not have enough light. There is a threshold that is reached somewhere around 12 or 16 watts from what I have read.

I also recommend hornwort.