PDA

View Full Version : Will Chlorox bleach kill snails?

ronv
07-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm cleaning tanks today and thinning out plants. I think I might just bring a few bags of plants to the meeting next weekend but they are full of pond snails. If I put all the plants into an aquarium in a mild bleach solution for a week, would that get rid of the snails?

DiscusChris
07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
It would probably kill everything, snails, algae and the plants.

Roger
07-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Sometimes a saltwater dip will work. The snails generally close/let go and fall off. But I don't think it kills the eggs.

hsd
07-24-2010, 04:18 PM
You'd probably want to do the dip for less than a minute or so depending on the plant. I think almost all the plants would die if you had them in there a week. If you get some potassium permanganate that works well for getting rid of snails, and not harmful to plants. The only downside is if you get it on yourself or your clothes you end up purple.

ronv
07-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Is potassium permanganate available at pharmacies? What is it commonly used for?

Roger
07-24-2010, 05:47 PM
I think potassium permanganate is harder to find because of it use in homemade bombs. It can be found in products that clear organic matter from ponds, like cloud free, pond clear, I think by Jungle products.

hsd
07-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Pool supply places sometimes have it. I wasn't able to find any locally. I ended up getting some online.

DevinFF
07-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Most plants can withstand a 1 to 2 minute dip in a diluted 5% bleach solution. My general rule of thumb is 2 1/2 cups bleach in a standard 3-gallon bucket. You'll need a second bucket to rinse the plants with water. Finally, add a little dechlorinator. It should get rid of the snails, green spot algae and even the dreaded beard algae.

Devin

P.S. I wouldn't exceed 2 minutes by very much because the bleach will begin to burn the plants.

jmhart
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Most plants can withstand a 1 to 2 minute dip in a diluted 5% bleach solution. My general rule of thumb is 2 1/2 cups bleach in a standard 3-gallon bucket. You'll need a second bucket to rinse the plants with water. Finally, add a little dechlorinator. It should get rid of the snails, green spot algae and even the dreaded beard algae.

Devin

P.S. I wouldn't exceed 2 minutes by very much because the bleach will begin to burn the plants.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to day.

One minute is usually enough to kill snails without killing plants.

geotek
07-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Keep in mind that plants vary in sensitivity to bleach solutions. From what I have heard, thick leaved plants such as anubias and Java ferns handle the bleach dip better than fine leaved plants such as Myriophlylum aquaticum.

mike from philly
07-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I can confidently confirm that soaking java fern in a strong bleach solution for 20 mins and scrubbing with a tooth brush will kill all algea ....... along with the plant. :o I'm such an idiot sometimes.

beattyfish
07-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I would buy some plants with snails.:/
need something for certain fish to munch on. :rolleyes:
I can't even grow algae in my tanks :( ;)easier to clean

beattyfish
07-26-2010, 02:28 PM
so far I have only been able to keep all of the java moss alive. have one java plant, guppies keep it looking like lace, nibbling it to replace the algae. :(

Chris Noto
08-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Just saw a good article (http://www.tfhmagazine.com/blogs/?p=517), by our recent guest speaker Mark Denaro, on this subject, over at the TFH site:

If you ... donít want to risk population explosions of other snail species, it is important to treat every plant that goes into the tank with aluminum sulphate, potassium permanganate, or some other chemical that will kill not only snails but snail eggs that may be attached to the plants.
Aluminum sulphate, unlike potassium permanganate, will not turn you purple, and is not used in the manufacture of bombs, so it is easier to get. Find it at your neighborhood garden center, where it is sold to help lower soil pH for acid loving plants such as azaleas, and camellias.

SvenRhapsody
08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I can say with 100% certainty that neither common "rid-a-snail" nor bleach will kill Malaysian Trumpet Snails even in very high concentrations. You will definitely kill _most_ of the snails. You won't kill them all. They close their little operculums and just ride it out. After my experiences, I decided it wasn't even worth the hassle.

mike from philly
08-02-2010, 06:21 PM
aluminum sulphate
Is that the same as Alum that sold at Kroger?

sneasle
08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
My BN pleco's have done a good job keeping the snails at bay, which kind of surprised me.

I started crushing those I could find during my water changes, I guess they developed a taste for them. I do still have some, but no where near as many.

Chris Noto
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
"Alum" not the same as aluminum sulphate.

To reiterate:

Find it at your neighborhood garden center, where it is sold to help lower soil pH for acid loving plants such as azaleas, and camellias.

liz3
08-05-2010, 09:17 PM
FYI: anyone wanting potassium permanganate can find it at ACE hardware. if it is not on the shelf they will get it in for you in a few days. i think it was around $10 for a lifetime supply. don't hold me to that price....oh and it does NOT kill snails...not at all :)

sandyd
09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
I have assassin snails that have wiped out every snail in my 125g planted tank and a few other tanks that I have plants in.

They are the coolest little buggers and do not miltiply like the dreaded MTS & other snails. They will suck the buggers right out of their shells. Neat to see and they actually are a nice looking snail. And they don't eat your plants.