PDA

View Full Version : Flame moss from August meeting

Holy Samosa
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
I bought my first clump of Flame Moss at the August auction, but I'm stating to wonder if it might be something else.

It's now grown about 1/2 inch after being tied to wood in the tank, however it's grown almost perfectly horizontal rather than vertical. Is this typical? All the pics I find are of more mature moss that's growing almost completely vertical.

The moss from the bag did have long mostly unbranching fronds, however. Gosh, I pray it's not Java moss. I thought I had finally rid myself of it forever. ;-)

Any insight from the seller or someone experienced with this moss species is most welcome!

Thanks,
Jeremy

Chris Noto
08-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I bought my first clump of Flame Moss at the August auction, but I'm stating to wonder if it might be something else. It's now grown about 1/2 inch after being tied to wood in the tank, however it's grown almost perfectly horizontal rather than vertical. Is this typical? All the pics I find are of more mature moss that's growing almost completely vertical.
Vertical is definitely the word for Flame Moss (http://tinyurl.com/22q8ugz), not that I've actually grown anything but Java Moss. :/

The moss from the bag did have long mostly unbranching fronds, however. Gosh, I pray it's not Java moss. I thought I had finally rid myself of it forever. ;-)
Forever is a really, really long time, Jeremy... ;)

See you at the auction?

Holy Samosa
08-24-2010, 11:19 PM
I'll be there!!! I've become bored with my main tank and it's been looking like crap for a while, so I'm hoping to rescape and restock it after the auction.

I'm really wishing I had a fancy ADA rimless. Aside from the ADA tanks being super sexy, I've realized that aquascaping potential of the bow front tank I bought over a decade ago is hindered by it's, uh, bow-ness. Sigh.

Holy Samosa
08-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Sigh. I spent some time this afternoon really studying flame moss photos and I'm leaning towards concluding that this stuff is Java moss. :-(