PDA

View Full Version : Illegal/ Invasive plants

MrsMoose
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Is there a list somewhere that lets me know what aquatic plants I can and can not bring to Georgia ?

hsd
08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.gainvasives.org/gaweeds.cfm
http://www.gaeppc.org/list.cfm

Not sure whether the lists on those sites show illegal plants, or just invasive ones.

MrsMoose
08-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks, I will check them out. Do any of you know if parrots feather or duck weed can be brought to Ga. ?

JaredP
08-24-2010, 09:48 PM
lol... yea Duckweed is all over the club

zmo63
08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I have seen Parrots feather for sale at the pond store. Not sure of scientific name though.

hsd
08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I think duckweed will come with 95% of the plants in the auction.

HiImSean
08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
you can find parrot feather here in georgia lakes. im not sure if its invasive though

HiImSean
08-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I have seen Parrots feather for sale at the pond store. Not sure of scientific name though.
Myriophyllum aquaticum ;) gotta love a semester of aquatic biodiversity

MrsMoose
08-24-2010, 10:21 PM
LOL thanks every one, I know I have tons of the parrots feather in my 2500 gallon pond, cant put it in the big one unless I want the koi to shred it . I am going to bring some for a few friends when I come to the auction. I have put some as a floater in one of my aquariums.

beattyfish
08-25-2010, 08:21 AM
I would like 1/2 ton of parrot feather!

MrsMoose
08-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I would like 1/2 ton of parrot feather!
LOL don't have that much but if you really want some I would be glad to bring you some when I come in for the auction.

dgecko
08-25-2010, 11:34 AM
I would like to have some maybe not a ton but enough to start in several out door ponds and containers. Thanks

beattyfish
08-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, I really want some.....well alot! Thanks!

MrsMoose
08-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Will bring to the auction, I will not be back in Atlanta until then. I can not promise no snails they always tend to find their way into the pond.

Holy Samosa
08-25-2010, 01:02 PM
On the subject of illegal plants-- can we get HAP points for banned plants? I notice that H. Polysperma is listed on the HAP sheets...

Chris Noto
08-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I've never read anything in the HAP rules about invasive and/or illegal plants being excluded from garnering points. H. polysperma is listed in our HAP Program Guide (http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/documents/HAPProgramGuide.pdf), and thought it only gets five points, so do a lot of other, less demonized, plants. There's a page on the Sacramento Aquarium Society site by a guy who grew H. polysperma for points (http://www.sacramentoaquariumsociety.org/bap_hap/Plant_Reproduction_Report/20070303A_Hygro.htm). Plants of the genus Hygrophila are great. They are attractive, hardy, and good looking. My opinion? Go for it!

gwsyzygy
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Home Depot was selling parrots feather in GA, so one would expect it's legal. :|

I will also take some parrots feather. I also have some water hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes) and water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) if anyone wants some.

Hmm, water hyacinth is also on the list .. 5 pts. You can't *stop* that stuff from reproducing ...

kwseiders
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Home Depot was selling parrots feather in GA, so one would expect it's legal. :|
Home Depot also sells Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce (which are both illegal in Georgia). So just because they sell it, does not make it legal!

Parrots Feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum) is legal in Georgia, it is Myriophyllum spicatum - Eurasian watermilfoil that is illegal in GA. I have a PDF that I found that lists plants, the document is dated 1995-1996. I guess it is still correct? The most difficult thing I have tried to find on the internet is illegal water plants in Georgia (though I can find the illegal plants in Minnesota easily). I tried contacting the Department of Natural Resources, but got no response. We are all going to go to jail, we will not be allowed to pass go, and we will not be able to use our get out of jail free card, either. Big Brother is watching and waiting!

gwsyzygy
09-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Home Depot also sells Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce
Yep, that's where I got mine. I would have expected them to do their due diligence, especially since those plants in particular are illegal in several states. <shrug>

Would be nice for GA to post a respectable list. I couldn't even open the links posted in one of the early replies, had to use Google's cache to see them.

We are all going to go to jail
If GBI shows up at the auction, everybody RUN!