PDA

View Full Version : is this what happens at each auction ??

beattyfish
09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
It was my first auction. I went with a list of fish and asked Ken (the cute short one) plant questions, that he graceously asnwered. Opening up some plant bags....I find dead fish (UCK), snails (OK), lots of DIRTY gunk (NOT ok). Some of the java moss looked like grass clippings and plugged up my filters. I would be ashamed to put my name on those bags. I was expecting at least good quality. Is this normal?
I am done whining.

HN1
09-21-2010, 06:24 PM
No, that is not normal at all. The bags of plants we won were all very beautiful and healthy. There were a couple snails, but I don't mind snails.

hsd
09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Not normal at all. That's a bit out there with the dead fish, can't say I've heard that happening before. I ended up getting 4 bags of java moss, I think all from different people, one of them had snails but that was fine. I usually dip the plants into a bucket of water beforehand to get rid of any small bits/gunk and even snails.

Best thing to do is write down the bag numbers of plants you like, then when they go on auc you know which ones to bid on.

beattyfish
09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
good idea, I get there early, I'll look over the bags and put a HUGE purple X around each bag I like! LOL
I fish were guppies/killies/somthing small.

sandyd
09-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Never happened to me either.
But my first auction (last spring) I got one of Kens 'bag ol plants' so there was no worries there. ;)

But, whenever I get new plants I always dip them in a bleach solution. I am not so worried about snails (my assissins love them) but more worried about my fish getting some kind of infection. :mad:

Demonfish
09-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't bring ucky stuff unless the person getting it is warned before hand and doesn't mind. Looks like we had lots of new sellers as well as buyers. Its good and its bad. The last fish disease I brought home came from auction fish (ACA). Auctions are always a risk, but the worst I've had from ours has been mislabeled fish.

liz3
09-21-2010, 11:28 PM
have you contacted the seller that was listed on the bag?

beattyfish
09-22-2010, 12:02 AM
no, I wouldn't be contacting the seller. There are alot of new members including myself. I just wanted to put a heads up to all of us newbes, that we all need to be more aware of what we buy and sell.

Most folks don't mind a few snails in their plants. Make a notation on the bag. Then you will know what type of dip to use. But please dont surprise someone with little fish gifts. I lost some auction fish because of decaying fish in moss, that I didn't know was there.
I think everyone will be more carefull on both sides.

My Other bags of plants were great, as were the fish.

The couple behind us pre-wrote the sellers number and item number , then carefully waited for the items to come up. I will do that next time. But then I dont get to check out on the late arrivals.

There was even a member who offered to share his moss....how wonderful is that!

SvenRhapsody
09-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi,
I hope it wasn't one of my plant bags that you got. I cleaned out 80 gallons worth of tanks that were just packed full of java moss. I'm literally seeing fish that I had forgotten that I had now they were so full. I made some huge bags of java moss that went for around $5 just like the guys with 1/8 cup of packed moss. I just about guarantee that I ended up with a couple of gill netted guppies in some of that grass. That was one reason I needed to thin it out. It grow so densely it will actually kill the fish. So anyway, I hope it wasn't one of my sadly caught guppies that upset you. I also hope that if it was the amount of java moss will help. Finally, please don't let this sour you on the auction or the club. We all have different styles of keeping fish and aquariums. :) Mine isn't all that neat.
SR

Larry Bugg
09-22-2010, 08:14 AM
When you buy plants from any source you should expect snails. If not the snails than likely the eggs. Even the bigger online aquatic stores I have ordered from have snails. I didn't bring any java moss this time but if I did there would be the chance of snails. I don't mark the bags and I don't think I have ever seen a bag marked with snails possible. Oh and it isn't just the moss, any plant should be suspect of snails.

I did see a number of bags of moss that looked like they were full of algae also though. Everyone should really make sure what they are bringing is up to quality. At one point I was keeping a lot of java moss in my bare bottom tanks and brought a lot to the auctions. Many, many times I threw away large clumps because they had algae in them instead of auctioning them.

mike from philly
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
The couple behind us pre-wrote the sellers number and item number , then carefully waited for the items to come up. I will do that next time. But then I dont get to check out on the late arrivals.
Another technique is to know the seller numbers of people you trust and respect. That way if a bag comes up that interests you, you can be secure enough to bid on it without doing a visual inspection.

For example, I had stiffed armed my daughter throughout the whole auction. She wanted to buy everything. I had heard HN1's number (723) come up and decided to bid on a bag that we hadn't seen.

Holy Samosa
10-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Also, I'd really appreciate it if folks noted on their bags the presence of any algae in their tanks, ESPECIALLY BBA. Unfortunately, I recently introduced some crazy brownish green algae into one of my tanks from a plant purchase from the club. I hadn't seen algae (other than a little GSA on the glass) in my tanks in eons, and now the one tank is majorly infested. :-(

Seriously, IMO bleach dipping is a great idea if the plant species can handle it. I did this before setting up all of my new tanks last year and never saw algae, even during periods of extreme neglect.

geaux fish
10-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Does the bleach treatment work for snails too? I scoured over my leaved plants before they went in the tank, but I suspect that giant wad of Java Moss that I got had stow-aways that I didn't eradicate completely. Now I have quite the infestation.

Garfieldnfish
10-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I have received plants with algae and snails on them before, but never with fish. That is an exception I am sure.
And Sven I got some of your plants before and I loved the riccia. Any time you have more for sale let me know.

I used to have a dwarf puffer that cleaned up all my plants before I put them in other tanks but the puffer died after 8 years. She is really being missed. Unfortunately she took up a 15 gal tank that I needed for some fry and now I am short of a plant cleaning station. I am left with assassin snails. They, however, will not completely eliminate all snails and they definitely won't do any good with the algae. But I am reluctant to use bleach because, like java moss, some plants will suffer. I am tempted to get another puffer if I could figure out what tank one could go into. Had-a-Snail would probably be my way of eliminating snails and snail eggs, except that I am afraid some of treatment may remain on the plants and kill my assassin snails or apple snails. But for anyone without that problem I would use that in a bucket to kill off the snails and eggs prior to placing new plants in tanks.

hsd
10-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Could try dipping plants into a bucket with a potassium permanganate and a water mix. It's not harmful to plants, and will deal with snails and pests. Only thing to watch out for is getting it on your clothes or hands, it'll dye everything purple.

geaux fish
10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Apologies to the op for the thread re-direction, but has anyone used snail traps with any success?

Holy Samosa
10-27-2010, 01:22 PM
I've never tried Potassium Permanganate myself, but I've read that it can negatively impact some plants.

Good article about it here:
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/potper.shtml

Also, in my experience the bleach dip works for snails too, however I've heard that Malaysian Trumpet Snails can sometimes hunker down and make it thru.