PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting, anyone using it?

sneasle
09-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm thinking about building my own fixture, so I'm curious as to what you all might be using and your impressions of it.

What I would like to hear:
What fixture.
What size tank (w*l*d).
What kind of plants.
Your overall thoughts on the fixture.

I'm planning on building the entire thing as I have the know-how and access to the right tools, I would just like some input on what works and what doesn't without buying a commercial fixture to tear it down.

gofish
09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I think it's a great idea. I've thought about making one myself. The penetration into the water is excellent. I use a small LED flashlight to do water changes after my fishroom lights go off. From what I've seen, LED light produces the wonderful "shimmering effect" that you see with metal halides (without the heat) but the color rendering can be a bit on the bluish side. I worry that the color just might be too blue (like cool white) to display plants well. The plants can absorb the blue light in the 400-500nm range. You'll need some light in the red range 600-700nm range to get some plants to flower. Something in the 650–670nm would be ideal since that's the ideal range for phytochrome (that pigment that triggers flowering) absorption. You would also want something in the 500-600nm range to reflect the green in your plants. Without mixing the correct amount of LEDs, the colors just might not look right. I guess you could always swap out the LEDs to get the right mix. It seems like most LED fixtures sold are for reef systems that see to have a bluish tint. I think a daylight LED system would be ideal but I'm not sure if it's possible. Below is a great thread started by someone who made their own fixture for a reef tank:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587273

sneasle
09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Well, I'm actually planning on mixing white, red, and greens if I can get it, blues as well.

Current thoughts are about a 6-1-1-1 ratio. I'm an EE so I'm not worried about the wiring, I plan on having this setup so I can 'fine tune' my output of the LEDs so I get a good color mix.

I've actually read through soundwaves thread before, lots of good info, but he's running on saltwater and was curious of what I might need to change.

MikeATL
09-23-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm using TMC Aquaray 500's on my planted tank and have been using them for a few months. Still need a few more strips to get my lights backup to what I had with CFL's on my 90 gallon tank. The TMC's come in a 6500K emitters and seem to be color correct. These are not cheap but are using the latest LED technology. TMC just released some newer 1500 series (no Daylight - 6500's yet except in their 1000 series). They do give the shimering effect (never had metal halides so I don't know how these compare to those).

When my 48" CFL started needing new bulbs and the balasts were hitting their eol, I started looking at LED's since they use less energy and put out a little less heat. Also the TMC's have a aluminum radiator on the top of them, so no fans to run to keep them cool. Since my tank is in my living room, I had gotten tired of listening to the fan on the CFL's.

Google TMC Aquaray and the first link is the retailer I purchased mine from.

sam.mark
10-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I have been using the LED's n they work just fine...

nelsonhall
11-25-2010, 01:18 AM
i am using blue LEDs for my aquarium lighting the now my aquarium really looks cool.

Blendtec Blenders (http://www.blendtecreview.com/are-blendtec-blenders-the-best/)

sneasle
12-08-2010, 12:53 AM
How much and what kind of LED's are you all using?

I've been looking at the Marineland fixtures for my 29g and 55g as they are relatively cheap, but I don't know how much light to expect from them, ie a t5 wattage equivalent. Any ideas?

AG36
12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
I am contemplating getting this lighting system in a combo deal with a 27 gallon cube aquarium (20"x18"x20")
will this LED lighting.......

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/02/26/double-bright-led-lights-marineland-trigger-mass-adoption-led/

.....be enough to grow low to mid light fw plants ??
Any thoughts ??

lanta
12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
That was a very interesting discussion and I am sure that it’ll prove useful to anyone who is planning to set up their own fixture for the first time!! I really found the idea of mixing the white, red, green and blue – that will really give it an awesome overall effect!!

Skyboyx
12-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm running LED's on my 36" bow-front. Got these off ebay. 24" EVO LED 6500K by Green ElementMy plants are doing good.

AU ALUM
12-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I have marineland double brights on one of my tanks, and they really suck. Not nearly bright enough, the LED's are only 1 watt and there aren't nearly enough of them.

Look at getting optics for the LED's, your spread will be better, and you can get away with a shorter fixture.

Research some reefing sites, there is tons of info on LED's on them.

good luck

Hilde
12-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Hoppy made 1. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84212

Louis J
12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I have a 72 gal Bowfront with Tanganyika cichlids and a Beamsworks 48" standard LED. I love mine. Gives a great shimmer effect in the tank and the blue "moonlight" is also quite spectacular at night. I have java moss and java ferns, albeit it they are low light plants, they do quite well. I would say its quite a bit brighter than a single 48" flouro tube but if you have plants that require more light or just like a brighter tank go with the double brite. I chose the Beamsworks over the Marineland, it has more leds in it and is less expensive.

caricell
12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
I am a big fan of the Beamswork units. I own a number of them. Their standard fixtures are good. Their new 3rd generation fixtures (brighter) are even better.

I have a 72 gal Bowfront with Tanganyika cichlids and a Beamsworks 48" standard LED. I love mine. Gives a great shimmer effect in the tank and the blue "moonlight" is also quite spectacular at night. I have java moss and java ferns, albeit it they are low light plants, they do quite well. I would say its quite a bit brighter than a single 48" flouro tube but if you have plants that require more light or just like a brighter tank go with the double brite. I chose the Beamsworks over the Marineland, it has more leds in it and is less expensive.

Ga_shrimp
01-17-2013, 03:55 AM
I have led's on 2 of my planted tanks. I got the fixtures off ebay already put together. On the 2 gallon bowl setup there is 10 1watt 6700k bulbs, and on the 10 gallon I have the 10 3watt 6700k bulbs. I have growing mini sword, dwarf hair grass, marimo balls, ludwigia repens, christmas moss. Overall I am statisfied with them, but have been pleased with LED's since I used to have a couple of reef setups totally on LED with sps, and clams. I will suggest making sure what you buy is going to be enough wattage with some good lenses. Even with lower end LED's a good lense made the difference just make sure your array is enough to counter a flashlight effect.

gloriousbettas
01-19-2013, 12:45 AM
I use LED's on my spawn tanks and wild betta tanks. They work well and I like the blue "night" setting, too. Use LED bulbs in my clip lights over the daphnia tanks. Gives plenty of light and does not heat up the daphnia tanks. I don't raise any high light plants, so these work for my pelia, hornwort, and lacy java ferns.

Aquatic_Adam
02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
If you want a good LED fixture and not overly pricey. You have to look at Finnex. The FugeRay works for low light plants and the Ray2 works for higher. The only downfall to LEDs in my opinion is their lack of deep penetration into the tank. I have a FugeRay on my 20 gallon long, and I don't think I would ever use it on anything much taller.

Hilde
02-05-2013, 12:52 PM
If you want a good LED fixture and not overly pricey. You have to look at Finnex. The FugeRay works for low light plants and the Ray2 works for higher.
There is also BeamsWork LED light strips.

laminatedgorilla
02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
I currently use LED's on 5 of my tanks with varying degrees of success.

The cheapest LED's that I'm using are these little guys.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-11-2930-/25-5885
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-11-2950-/25-5890

They also come in a few other colors. They claim to be 6000K +/- 500 which would seem about right. These cheap LED's are decent for smaller tanks (10 gallons or less). I am using two 3-led units each in my 2 gallon and 10 gallon tank. It is medium light in my 2 gallon, low light in the 10 gallon.

I am running the 24"-36" marineland single bright LED's on my 20 long and my 29 gallon tanks. I don't add CO2 or fertilizers, only flourish tabs twice a year and I see growth typical of medium intensity bulbs.

On my 12 aquapod saltwater tank I am using two of the 19w Ecoxotic panorama pro LED modules. All I can say about the growth of my corals is... WOW. These guys are expensive, but they are worth it in my opinion, especially if you are leaning towards saltwater. Though, I doubt they would be cost effective on a big tank.

Yesterday I just received a 3rd gen Beamswork 18"-22" Hi Lumen LED that I ordered off of eBay for $40+free shipping. I had heard how much brighter the 3rd gen LED units are over the previous models, so I set up a side by side comparison on my 29 gallon tank between my 18"-22" beamswork (54 LED's total) and my 24"-36" marineland single bright (72 LED's total). I was expecting them to be about the same light output because of the difference in the number of LED's, but the beamswork unit was much brighter than the marineland. I was surprised to say the least. I would say the 3rd gen beamswork Hi Lumen LED's are definitely in the high intensity range of lighting.

youlandbadly
03-21-2013, 02:58 AM
I'm using LED lighting on my Fluval Spec. I don't know all the specifics; this is my first use ever of LED lighting for a tank. I know the light setup has 31 lights in it. So far it's doing great for the tank- I have an Amazon sword and 'baby tears' in the tank and they've been there about six weeks and are doing well; the plants have definitely made the betta and platy that live in the tank much much happier.

youlandbadly
03-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Can I ask how you are setting those strips on on your tank? I've been contemplating getting another tank soon and if I don't go the Fluval route I'd like to try and put together something on my own. These strips are extremely affordable and, as you've said, you can support plant growth with them and that's about all I require.

andtokyo
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I just added an LED fixture to a hexagon that I wanted to plant.
I went with the Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 18-Inch (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007URFALU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1) (manufacturers site (http://www.finnex.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_ details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=4&product_ id=321&Itemid=61)) dual 7k.
For the price of around $80 it seemed to perform better than the higher end fixtures using Finnex's own research as a reference though. The chart below is for the 24" since I could not find the 18" but compared to others charts it gives you an idea of the value.
http://i45.tinypic.com/2dl2l34.jpg

apache67
03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking about building my own fixture, so I'm curious as to what you all might be using and your impressions of it.

What I would like to hear:
What fixture.
What size tank (w*l*d).
What kind of plants.
Your overall thoughts on the fixture.

I'm planning on building the entire thing as I have the know-how and access to the right tools, I would just like some input on what works and what doesn't without buying a commercial fixture to tear it down.

Have you considered buildmyled.com? I have one of their 36" LED fixtures over my ADA 90-H and so far, I am liking it.

apache67
03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Have you considered buildmyled.com? I have one of their LED fixtures over my ADA 90-H and am thus far satisfied.

nalu86
03-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Me and a small led company will soon start making grow and aquarium lights. Tell me what you want and we will make them.
We will make dome lights to start. The owner of the company showed me an 60 watt led light dome and it looks brighter than metal halide. It was 7 times 6 LEDs, this looks promessing.

farnaby
03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
If you want a good LED fixture and not overly pricey. You have to look at Finnex. The FugeRay works for low light plants and the Ray2 works for higher. The only downfall to LEDs in my opinion is their lack of deep penetration into the tank. I have a FugeRay on my 20 gallon long, and I don't think I would ever use it on anything much taller.

I'm using the fugeray on my 29 gallon (18" deep) and so far I'm getting good results.

Demonfish
03-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Sounds interesting Nalu. Certainly there is room for growth and new products in this market. Do you have a PAR meter? Seems like the hardest thing is getting an "apples to apples" comparison.

Hilde
03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm using the fugeray on my 29 gallon (18" deep) and so far I'm getting good results.
Looked at your pics and looks like you have low medium light in your tank.