PDA

View Full Version : riccia is not doing well

mountainman36
10-10-2010, 02:55 AM
my riccia i got at the auction is not dong well...it seems to just break up and get smaller and smaller. wont clump anymore....anyone know how much light it needs? a lot or a little??? i dont have it with tons of light so thats my guess, but anyone have good results with this stuff??

rpc

hsd
10-10-2010, 03:23 AM
It's a high light plant. You could let it float up near the surface of the tank, that should help get it going again.

deg421
10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Do many folks get this to attach to wood or rocks, Whats the secret? It keeps breaking up and floating away then all i have is some thread or mesh on a stick!

kwseiders
10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
I have found they need high light. And they need to be trimmed constantly. If you keep them trimmed no more than 1 inch tall, the light reaches to the bottom of the clump, and they will thrive. But if they get to 1.5 inches, light doesn't reach the bottom of the layer, it rots away, and they disconnect from where they were tied. However, if kept trimmed, they look really nice. Personally, I found the maintenance to be too great. Miss trimming them for one week, and all heaven breaks loose.

I have also found that if you try to get rid of it, small pieces of it will float to the top of your tank, and grow like blue blazes, into a sizable clump, and there is no way to kill it. (But Caricell gladly takes it). Grows where you don't want it, won't grow where you do. Typical.

mike from philly
10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Grows where you don't want it, won't grow where you do. Typical.
Sounds like a wife ......... as I look around to make sure mine isn't reading this.

Holy Samosa
10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Are you dosing any Excel in the tank? In my experience, Riccia melts at the first sign of Excel. Even after melting, though, leave a few of the fits floating around in the tank and soon you'll have enough floating on the surface to do something interesting with.

BTW, was that the riccia rock kit I sold at the auction?

My riccia is presently melted as I'm dosing Excel to deal with an algae outbreak in my newly rescaped tank, but I'll be happy give you more once it recovers.

Garfieldnfish
10-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I have the same problem with riccia in most of my tanks, all low to medium light tanks, no CO2. I only managed to keep it growing well in a 15 gal when I mixed it in with some java moss and tied it to a piece of driftwood with fishing line. If you do not have plecos in the tank, you could put the mix of java moss and riccia inside a hairnet. I have done that with good results until one of my Bristlenose males got caught in the hairnet and I had to cut him out of it. Luckily the fish was a good sport and held still while I cut away the hairnet, but it was still stressful for both of us. Even floating in my tanks, the riccia just melts away. But luckily there are plenty of people in the club and I can get more whenever I am done killling a batch and start new. I love the look but I am lacking the green thumb. So people keep it growing, please.