PDA

View Full Version : Local source for good stones?

Holy Samosa
11-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Ok, I'm posting a rock question on the plant forum. I guess this is the closest thing we have to an aquascaping forum.

So, anyone know of a good local source for nice aquascaping stones? I'm looking for stones with great character, worthy of an iwagami aquascape. Typically I just get rocks from walks in the woods, but I'd like rocks with more character than what I'm picking up around here.

Thanks.
Jeremy

DevinFF
11-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Jeremy,

There's obviously granite in abundance, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. I have rifled through rock piles and many of the local landscaping places. There's some decent stuff and it's relatively cheap because the prices are designed for much larger landscaping stones.

However, I personally haven't found anyone locally selling the traditional Japanese stones you see all the aquascaping contests. If you find a good source locally, please share with the rest of us.

Devin

aXio
11-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah I have been looking for ever... I've tried to hit up all the rivers around here, but they all pretty much have the same type of rock. I doubt we will find anything Amano uses around here =/

Holy Samosa
11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah. Bummer. I can stomach dropping cash on some really nice wood but I just can't bring myself to buy expensive rocks and then pay even more to have them shipped to me. Sigh.

Brubaker
11-03-2010, 09:44 PM
The Cobb County Rock and Mineral Society is having a show the weekend of Nov 19-21 at the Cobb county civic center. There are a lot of rock hounds there. You can probably describe what you are looking for and some of the members might be able to point you in the right direction. If nothing else, it is a good show with lots of interesting items.

Holy Samosa
11-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Brubaker! That sounds like a fine event.

I love nerds!

jmhart
02-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I recommend going to a rock yard and getting some decent sized river rocks. Stuff that 3 or 4 times larger than what you want. Then, bring it home and crack it with a sledge hammer. Thousands or millions of years in a river makes some very rounded stones (not so great for aquascaping). A miliseconds impact with a sledge hammer can undo all that.

That's I do. I bought 100 lbs of rock for less than 20 bucks. It was enough to scape my 120g, my ADA 60-P, and have 10-20 lbs left over.