PDA

View Full Version : Black Brush Algae Removal

Dasher
11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Hello all!

Well, loath as I am to admit this, I need suggestions regarding the removal of Black Brush Algae. My 55 gallon tank is starting to get this algae on the heater and some plastic plants. I read Ron's algae sticky and see that I can do a few things: "increase CO2 and/or increase water flow with a power head".

Any pros or cons to either of these fixes that you good folks can point out to me? Also, am I unaware of any other fixes?

Also, what is a power head? (I'll be so glad when I am no longer a newbie to the hobby!). Just something that creates a current in the tank?

Many thanks!

Dan.

geaux fish
11-17-2010, 10:57 AM
You can remove your heater and plastic plants and dip them in a Hydrogen Peroxide bath & that should kill it. Just rinse them off before returning them to the tank, although at diluted levels, it's probably fine. Ron's fixes sound like the methods you use for a tank with live plants. If you have live plants with BBA in your tank you can also squirt Seachem Excel on the trouble spots. The algae will turn red then die back.

Good luck & let us know what works!

Cheers,

Adam

DevinFF
11-18-2010, 11:54 PM
5% Bleach dip. It works on live plants, plastic ones and aquarium equipment.

Devin

Holy Samosa
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
In addition to increasing CO2, try to keep your CO2 level consistent. I've found that you can actually make BBA worse in a low tech (non-CO2-injected) tank by increasing the frequency of water changes. I'm pretty sure this is due to the fluctuation of CO2 level this introduces.

I've always had good luck with spot treating BBA with Excel. Just cut off the filter and squirt Excel directly on the BBA. Wait a few minutes and turn the filter back on.

As Devin mentioned, a bleach dip works great as well if the plant can handle it.

AG36
12-15-2010, 11:34 PM
I can back up Holy on the Flourish Excel statement. Used it to knock out my BBA and it worked fine. I had a 20 gallon that this was accomplished in.

lanta
12-24-2010, 12:26 AM
I had the same problem with algae sometime back and someone in the forum suggested I dip them in 5% bleach and it worked fine for me!! That is the easiest and sure way for your problem and it is all the more better since it works for almost any problem related to aquariums!!