PDA

View Full Version : Duckweed

joecoulson
03-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Will DW grow in African water (ie hard,salt etc) ?

Demonfish
03-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Pearlweed will. I got some in a Tang tank by accident and it covered the top. It does need light, though. When a light dies, it stops growing and turns white. Java ferns do ok, but salt kills java moss.

joecoulson
03-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I got the ferns, they are OK like you said(staying alive anyway, no growth) where could I find some Pearlweed?

Demonfish
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
I can bring you little bag to auction or next meeting. I must warn you that it likes to spread from tank to tank and cover the surface.

joecoulson
03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Fine by me, how much do you want? If you say nothing, then I will be forced to bring you something from the supply cabinet...

I can imagine if it spread to the Mbuna tank, it wouldn't last long. It is going in the 10g Tang tank.

Thank you!

Demonfish
03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
lol, I prob. would've say nothing. The most I'll pay for a plant is $1 and that's usually the most I'll charge. Some of my malawi fish will eat this stuff, other just taste it and spit it out.

joecoulson
03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Man, that did not work out the way I planned, more than half went up the intake of the filter. I think I need a canister outflow rather than a HOB, looks like a friggin snowglobe in my tank! LOL, thank you though, I am not giving up yet.

Demonfish
03-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Hm, I didn't think about that. Some of my power filter intakes do get clogged with the stuff, but some of my tanks just have sponge filters. You can try a 'sponge pre-filter' on the intake to spread out the suction. For what its worth, the 'snow globe effect' doesn't seem to kill the stuff.

joecoulson
03-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I think over time it will settle down. I still am glad I have it, helps to break up the light which is super bright for a 10g.