PDA

View Full Version : WANTED Puppy!

ChrisW
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey all,

Im looking for a puppy, specifically a Labrador or Chesapeake bay retriever. We lost our 12 year old lab in Jan from cancer and a new one would really do the family some good.

If any of you are hobbyist breeders or just have one to rehome, please PM me the details!

bloodworm
03-16-2011, 07:14 PM
This is a great rescue.

http://www.labrescueofatlanta.com/

Good luck.
BW

bloodworm
03-16-2011, 07:17 PM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/2247214317.html

You can also find them on CL:

BW

sandyd
03-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog....It's like a family member leaving when one goes on.

I had a wolf hybrid for 11 yrs...missed him so much that I now have him tattoo'd on my half of my back.

HN1
03-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Adopt. There are some wonderful dogs at local shelters. Even purebreeds. What area are you in?

ChrisW
03-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Adopt. There are some wonderful dogs at local shelters. Even purebreeds. What area are you in?

Im in Lawrenceville. Ive been checking shelter websites, but I kind of have an issue with some stranger coming into my house and poking around. I have nothing to hide, and Im sure these people have the best of intentions, I just find it strange. Ya know?

Anyways, I am really looking for only a puppy at this point and they seem to only have adults anyways. Ill keep checking the shelters though, just in case.

HN1
03-17-2011, 08:56 AM
I do understand. We had to have a home visit when we started fostering for Forsyth County HS. It was a bit strange, but was quick and like you said they are with the best of intentions. They are really just looking for unsafe conditions, covert breeders, etc. Took about 10 minutes. Anyways, good luck and I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see any pups come in.

bloodworm
03-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Chris - I help do home visits for a few rescues (Malinois / Dutch Shepherd) and the intent of the visit is to simply make sure the dog is a good match for you and has a good home. It is generally a 45 minute deal - and the home visitor will work around your schedule. They will ask about your lifestyle - whether you crate - what vet do you use - things like that - and will also make note of things they see (small children? cats? fence? hazardous items accessible (example pools of anti-freeze in the garage). In general they make no decisions - simply report back what they have found so the adoption coordinator can place the best dog with you.

As you had a lab for 12 years (am also sorry to hear he/she is gone) I suspect you would pass with flying colors. As you know - labs are not always the "easiest maintenance" dogs - and many are returned due to their chewing habits and energy levels - especially pups. The rescue will simply want to place the dog in a situation that will work out best for you and it.

Here are a few I see on Petfinder - hope this helps!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18453136
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18601855
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18601863
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18813394

BW

joecoulson
03-17-2011, 09:17 AM

+1, I have an 11 yr old Australian Cattle who I got as a pup from Hall co shelter, been the best dog I could have ever dreamed of.

zmo63
03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
We had a home visit when we adopted our borzoi. It was fun - just a chance to meet someone and talk dog for a bit! They just wanted to know we weren't psychos, and it was a chance for us to make contact with someone local who had borzoi too. A decent breeder is going to be just as thorough as a rescue, and the contract you sign will probably be more strict. If not, please don't buy from them, they probably don't know what they're doing. Good luck in your search! We lost our cat in January too (also cancer), and I'm on rescue websites constantly - if I come across a retriever puppy I'll pass it along.

edit - did you see Godiva and Hershey at Georgia SPCA in Suwanee? Their intake date is 3/11/11:
http://www.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsAdoptableAnimalDetails.aspx?id=12661816
http://www.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsAdoptableAnimalDetails.aspx?id=12665785

bloodworm
03-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Here is an example of what a rescue home visit will have on his/her secret clipboard:

Homecheck Guidelines for Adoption

Why a Labrador Retriever?

What is your level of experience in the breed? If the person has not had a Lab, ask about any experiences they have had with Lab’s and what are their expectations? I'm looking to hear if they have an understanding of how much love and attention is required, if they understand that a Lab can destroy if s/he decides to take a chunk out of the furniture, if they have a sense of how smart these little sweeties can be. I'm also trying to get a feel for the person. Are they too soft that they could be bullied or let the dog get out of hand or too tough.

What is your lifestyle (active, passive, etc)?

How many Lab’s have you spent time with?

Is spouse/significant other also interested in getting a Lab? YES NO

How often do your dogs visit a vet?

What type of HW preventative do you use? What type of Flea/tick preventative do you use?

How many hours a day will the dog be alone?

Do you use a crate when not home? YES NO

How will you provide adequate exercise for your Lab?

Will you be able to bathe, groom, pick up all feet, clip toenails, show bite, and touch your Lab all over so your vet will appreciate your dog? YES NO

Are you willing to socialize your dog by taking s/he out to meet other animals and people and taking s/he on outings with you? YES NO

Are you truly willing to share your life with this dog as a member of your family? YES NO

Will your neighbors accept this dog into their community? YES NO

Do you realize the possible expense involved with this dog, proper diet, proper vaccinations,and heart worm preventative, what if this dog is injured? YES NO

What sort of fun things do you think you'll do with your Lab?

Under what unforeseen conditions would you give up a dog?

Do you understand an adopted dog can only be returned to our agency? YES NO

Does anyone in the family have allergies to pets? YES NO If YES, explain?

What other dogs are in your neighborhood?

Are they confined or running loose? Confined Running Loose Both

If other dogs or cats live in the home, how do you plan to introduce the new household member?

Will you be willing to keep us posted about the dog - either through written statement or possible follow up home visits and maybe even pictures? YES NO

Where will the dog reside? (At this time you may ask to see yard, the rest of the home, where dog will be when family is gone, or you may wait until the talking is over)

THINGS CHECKED FOR:

Fenced yard? YES NO Type of fencing? Locks on gate(s)? YES NO
Cleanliness of house?
Condition of the yard?
Check for anything left out that would harm an animal:
Antifreeze - YES NO
Oil Spills - YES NO
Pesticides - YES NO
Chemicals – YES NO
Poisonous Houseplants - YES NO
Sharp Objects - YES NO
Ragged pieces of metal or fencing - YES NO

List any concerns.
How adults treat current pet(s)?
How kids behave towards their current pet (if applicable)?
Physical condition of pets.
Do current pets look clean? YES NO
Any problems or potential problems noticed? Fleas? YES NO Ticks? YES NO
Excessive scratching? YES NO
Bad breath that could indicate bad teeth? YES NO
Would an existing animal not accept a new dog in the home? YES NO
Any Obedience Training? YES NO

A home visit does not constitute approval for adoption. At the conclusion of the visit, do not tell the applicant if they are approved or not. Just tell them you have to report to [name of rescue] and that the applicant will hear from [name of rescue] within 10 days.

ChrisW
03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Headed to a petco adoption tomorrow, wish me luck

bloodworm
03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Good Luck!
BW

Garfieldnfish
03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Good luck. You will find one. I got all my cats from the Humane Society and Petsmart. You will save a life and by not taking an unwanted puppy off of someone's hand that person might make the decision to have the mother spayed, preventing her from having more. Spay and neuter is the way to go.

ChrisW
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, I ended up driving to Montgomery, adopted a 7 week old black lab puppy! He was headed to the pound in a week if nobody adopted him, so I consider it a rescue. Pics to come!

HN1
03-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Congrats! Looking forward to the pics.