PDA

View Full Version : can plant kill fishes?

William1Will
06-06-2011, 10:35 AM
what happened if i mix whatever plant with whatever fish. Can someone die?

Demonfish
06-06-2011, 01:59 PM
i think there are poisonous plants that you don't want in a tank with plant-eating fish.

kwseiders
06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Hygrophila balsamica if grown emersed (out of the water) is poisonous to fish and invertebrates if put into the water. However, if it is grown immersed (in the water) it is not poisonous. I have had many instances in which fish have caused harm to plants. I have not, however, had any instances in which plants caused harm to the fish (the fish are too fast, the plants can't catch them!) Why, has something happened and you think the plants may have caused it?

Demonfish
06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10715FE355F15738DDDA00A94DE405B 8484F0D3

Fish-eating plants should be avoided.

TheFishTank
06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Definately good to know.

Hygrophila balsamica if grown emersed (out of the water) is poisonous to fish and invertebrates if put into the water. However, if it is grown immersed (in the water) it is not poisonous. I have had many instances in which fish have caused harm to plants. I have not, however, had any instances in which plants caused harm to the fish (the fish are too fast, the plants can't catch them!) Why, has something happened and you think the plants may have caused it?

Demonfish
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
If you a bring home a plant and it dies, its like overfeeding your tank. You need to change water or the ammonia spike can kill fish.

feh
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
There is only one plant that I know in our hobby that is poisonous to fish and thats only if its grown emersed which is hygrophila balsamica. Other than that there are plants you don't want to keep with various fish because they will eat it if you don't keep the fish well fed such as plecos and swords. If there is no algae and they aren't well fed they might munch on your swords. I've heard of rummy nose tetras eating downoi and things along those lines.