PDA

View Full Version : Questions about what CO2 unit to get - paintball vs regualr

mountainman36
11-13-2011, 12:14 AM
hey Guys - ive been keeping fish and planted tanks for 20 years, and have done the co2 yeast thing plenty, but im tired of it, and have decided to do the CO2 tank thing...

so do you guys have better results with the full co2 bottles - like a 5 lb bottle, or can i just use the small regulator for 35$ and a paintball co2 tank??

i have to put it under the tank, and its not got a lot of clearance...so it may have to be small....

what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

hsd
11-13-2011, 04:10 AM
There is a huge thread over on plantedtank.net about a paintball setup http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/115850-paintball-co2-injection-diy-setup-tons.html For a small aquarium it seems to be a great and cheap solution but I think they end up refilling the tanks fairly often every few weeks. For anything bigger than 20g I'd definitely go with a full sized canister.

HN1
11-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I agree. I ran a paintball setup for awhile and got tired of the near weekly trips to refill it. I'd go with a 5# bottle. The easier it is for you, the more stable it will be. Just my 2 cents.

planted_one
11-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I'll third that. Having used a paintball setup on a 20g it just got old to refill it often (once a month). Plus with a good 5lb setup (good regulator, solenoid, needle valve) you will end up saving money in the long run compared to the paintball setup. Even a small paintball cylinder is $5-10 to refill. I can get my 5lb. cylinder refilled for about $10.

mountainman36
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
ill look for the 'propper' set up with the bigger bottle etc....my only issue is it wont fit under the tank - so it has to stay upright though right??

i may start asking more questions to see what you guys have had results with as far as other plants....i just seem to have trouble with a few things, that i shouldnt .....

ill ask later, but for now - ill get the better co2 unit....you guys like which website now?? ill likely get the solonoid and a timer for it too, so whare do i buy one??

Thx
RPC