PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish Questions

BreedingChan
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
What type of Angelfish are in pet stores like Petsmart, from what I can tell and from my little knowledge I have I wanna say the majority of them have just marble and blushing angelfish, Have yall seen any others?

What is considered a "wild-type" angelfish?

What are some unusual angelfish that yall have kept??

Thanks for the looks and answers:)

peathenster
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
"wild-type" angels are sometimes also called "silvers". There are quite a bit phenotypic variations depending on the locality. Most people may think they are not as colorful as domestic strains. I bred some "Philippine Blue" angels before and really liked them.

More into wilds now :smile: I currently have 10x from Guyana, 6x from Santa Isabel, Rio Negro, and 6x from Rio Arapiuns. Also have some P. altum that are looking better everyday :smile:

BreedingChan
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM
So what are considered wild types are the angels from a specific region? Do you have any pics of your angels?? How much do they run for? Where would be a good start in breeding angels?? Sorry for so many questions just excited!!

peathenster
01-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Technically speaking, all angels that don't carry any mutations are "wild-type".

The ones you usually see in pet stores - gold, marble, koi, blue, dark, blusher, veil, etc etc all carry specific mutations that give them those phenotypes. They have been selectively bred during the last 40 years.

Haven't been able to get my wilds to breed so I can't answer your other questions...

BreedingChan
01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Ohh I gotcha!! Thanks for all the information!! Know of any breeders around here?

BreedingChan
01-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Ok so I was at petsmart and I saw these two angelfish in there that appeared to be zebra they had 2-3 vertical stripes but what threw me off was the pink tint that it had on their top fins. Any idea on what type of angelfish this is? or is it a new mutation?

Demonfish
01-14-2012, 02:06 AM
careful with pinks, it could be a sign of injury or disease.

BreedingChan
01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
So basically that angelfish was sick? Is there a way to treat it?

nalu86
01-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes, but meds are expensive and you have no guarantee they will heal and recover.
Don't buy fish from petsmart/ petco/ walmart, only do that when it is really necessary (as example dollar/ fish sale to fill up a school of cardinals/ Neons, but dont forget to Quarantine the fish for 3-4 weeks)

Demonfish
01-14-2012, 10:58 AM
You need a pic. red lines are septicemia, but red spot can be natural coloring, pink gills can be "blushing" a type with clear gill covers or it could actually be missing gill covers or inflamed gills. Could just be a pink light reflecting, though

BreedingChan
01-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah I couldnt get a pic because the fish were sold literally right after I looked at them :( but it was the entire top fin that was pink, it could have been the lighting but it still looked cool!

Pierre
01-14-2012, 02:21 PM
While I believe Petsmart does not use this wholesaler, PetSupermarket does and may have the Angel fish you are talking about. Check this link which has some pictures: http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewgroup&groupID=99

BreedingChan
01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
So what I can tell from the picture it seems to be a an altum wild type angelfish, They look extremely similar! Thanks for that website page pierre helps a lot!!

Demonfish
01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Wild angelfish look similar, black stripes on silver body. There are 4 species, most in the hobby are P. scalare, but altums are here too. You can usually tell them by the large size, tall bodies, and high pricetags.