PDA

View Full Version : Planting a 20 long

BreedingChan
01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
So im trying to start to plant a 20 long nothing spectacular, just simple but looks amazing, right now I have java moss, and am not dosing co2 Im afraid to get plants that root because I dont have the right substrate (just river rock from petsmart) any idea on how to make this a little better?

hsd
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
You can have a nice planted tank without doing co2. Adding root fertilizer tablets under the rocks would help any plants you decide to put in. Also a regular fertilizer regimen added to the water would be beneficial. You could replace the river rocks with something better. What type of lighting fixture do you have on the tank? That will limit what sorts of plants you can try in the tank.

Demonfish
01-06-2012, 04:35 PM
You can tie java fern to things or plant swords in pots

Garfieldnfish
01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
I do not use CO2 and I do not fertilize. My tanks are a bit overstocked so the fish provide the fertilizer. Java moss does not do well for me in all but 2 tanks (I don't know why), but crypts do and suesswassertang, lucky bamboo (for 1 to 2 years), some swords, anubias, anacharis and dwarf lilies (the bulbs from Walmart). My personal favorite has turned out to be suesswassertang. I cannot kill it, the fish and shrimp love it and it grows quickly eough for me to use as hang-ons for shipping snails and shrimp. For your tank java moss, anubias, lucky bamboo and suesswassertang would work well

BreedingChan
01-06-2012, 10:16 PM
What would be a good replacement for my gravel? What would be a good fertilizer to use and I have a basic fluorescent bulb over it right now so nothing major! What is this suesswassertang?? I would love to try some of it!! How should I plant the swords??

Thanks so much for the replies!

Larry Bugg
01-06-2012, 10:52 PM
One of your biggest obsticles is going to be the height of your tank. A 20L is short and isn't really condusive to a lot of aquatic plants. Swords for example will quickly outgrow your tank as will most crypts. A standard fluorescent light is also going to limit you on what kind of plants you can grow. The light limitation will mean you will be limited to low light plants and due to this you will not need to dose ferts, at least not on a regular basis. From your cloudy thread it sounds like you are failrly new to aquariums, I would suggest doing some research on running a non planted tank for a while and then once you have got a handle on that start thinking about going planted. When you do want to get the plants going do a lot of reading here...http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

geotek
01-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Hornwort and water sprite would be manageable with a single tube fixture, although the hornwort may need weekly pruning. A single 36" long light would hang over the ends of your tank a little, but should raise the light level to a med low level and allow crypts and swords, which may eventually outgrow your tank, but in my experience, if you start with small plants, it takes months before they become too big for the tank. If you like the look of the river rock, you could but another substrate under it, such as flourite. Dwarf sag, can be a nice addition to the tank as well at the med low light level.

BreedingChan
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all the information!! I will def get on putting some flourite, then some pool filter sand and then some more just pebble size pebbles. I think it will be about 3 inches deep. Should be good for root growth I think! Ill prob just stick with java fern, java moss, and maybe one other type of plant but Idk yet I need to get something fast and easy. Also should I does co2, got any pictures of your set ups??

geotek
01-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Your substrate suggestions would be good for a med low/med light tank with dwarf sag/crypts/ small swords, but your plant choices mentioned do not require a substrate and are usually attached to driftwood or rocks. Anubias woiuld fit in well with the plants you mentioned and all of them should be fine with a single tube fixture, such as a 17 watt T8. Of course, having flourite in place would make upgrading to a higher light level and planting crypt, ect. quite easy, should you decide to in the future.
Don't bother with CO2 addition at low light levels.

BreedingChan
01-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Is there some type of grass that I could grow from this substrate and this light level?

Hilde
05-07-2012, 01:13 AM
I will def get on putting some flourite, then some pool filter sand and then some more pebble size pebbles.
So did you do this? What has happened with the tank? Got a pic?

BreedingChan
05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I started on it, because I live in NC for college it has been a slow process Ill begin to take pictures and update you, Im looking for a carpeting plant and am leaning towards Dwarf Sagittaria