PDA

View Full Version : Great, inexpensive CO2 solution

mdmoon
01-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone.
For a while now, I've used the Nutrafin Natural Plant System yeast CO2 system for my 37 gallon planted tank.
I recently decided to up the CO2 production by adding a second Nutrafin Natural Plant system. I hooked both lines to a splitter, joining them into one before going to the ladder delivery system.
It's always bugged me the way bubbles leave the top of the ladder, escaping to the surface and wasting valuable CO2. My solution? -- I took the Voyager stream pump I already had in the tank to create a small current and moved it directly above the ladder. The small bubbles get sucked into the pump as they leave the ladder, dispersing into super small bubbles that get absorbed immediately. With this system, I'm getting 100% CO2 absorbtion and my plants have O2 bubbles all over their surfaces that they've never had before. Thought I share this with you.

Check out my youtube video of it in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAgeLDXltro

-Mike.

Pierre
01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
This is great! What ratio of yeast / water are you using?

nalu86
01-19-2012, 08:06 PM
for under $100 you can have a paintball co2 setup with a DIY reactor ;)

mdmoon
01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
I use 1/4 tsp yeast and 1/4 tsp baking soda along with the amount of sugar that the nutrafin plant system says to use in each bottle.
I know I could use a regular 1 or 2 liter bottle instead, but the nutrafin bottles are just neater and better made. They also have tabs inside them that show you where to fill the sugar and water up to.

mdmoon
01-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah nalu86, I'm sure there are other solutions out there that are better. But I've had the one natural plant system bottle for years and I just had to add a second bottle and move the stream maker to achieve these results. My actual investment minus what I already had was only about $15.

caricell
01-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Ive been doing DIY Co2 for a couple years now, and it costs me virtually nothing.

Plastic Apple Juice bottle, hole in the top with airline tubing caulked into the hole.
End of tubing goes into the bottom of a maxijet powerhead, which takes the gas. chops it up into bubbles and disperses it throughout the tank.
Use 2 cups of sugar and 1 tsp of fast rising yeast.

nalu86
01-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I understand what you say, I did the 2 l coke bottle before and its only the price of yeast and sugar, but every 3 weeks/month refreshing it is a pain and for the little bit of co2 you get...
I went the paintball co2 way and actually its also a pain.
Last week I bought a regulator with solenoid and a 20lb co2 canister and waaw, this is easy :) I wish I bought this installation the first day before I started DIY CO2 :) I know its an investment, but if you look around, aquatech has cheap $60 regulators + solenoid and do an excellent job and 5lb co2 tank for $40-50 and you are set :)

Good recipe is 2 cups (brown) sugar, 1 tablespoon molasses, 1/4 theespoon yeast and pinch of baking soda (for soft water) everything in 2L bottle and you are set (I always got +1bps out of this setup)

brimcg
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
I've used the regulator/co2 setup with 10-pound cylinder for years now. I ebay'd a used regulator/solenoid system and tank for about $125. I only have to mess with it once or twice a year max. I used to use the DIY method, but came home after a weekend trip to find that the DIY solution had found its way up the tube and into the tank. The tank was milky white and all the fishies were not only dead, but they were all wedged under rocks, plants, anything in an attempt to get out of the poison. It took me years to get back into planted tanks after that...I felt like a serial killer!

Pierre
01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a French chef recipe ;-)

Good recipe is 2 cups (brown) sugar, 1 tablespoon molasses, 1/4 theespoon yeast and pinch of baking soda (for soft water) everything in 2L bottle and you are set (I always got +1bps out of this setup)

hsd
01-20-2012, 11:08 AM
for under $100 you can have a paintball co2 setup with a DIY reactor ;)

Good thread about paintball co2 setups http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/115850-paintball-co2-injection-diy-setup-tons.html
I had this for a while before finally upgrading to a full sized setup.

nalu86
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Sounds like a French chef recipe ;-)

How do you know I'm a Chef? Not from France, but from Belgium ;)

AG36
01-20-2012, 11:29 PM
I know its an investment, but if you look around, aquatech has cheap $60 regulators + solenoid and do an excellent job and 5lb co2 tank for $40-50 and you are set :)

I am looking to get one of these aquatech regulators too any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Nalu, where did you go to get the CO2 tank from?

nalu86
01-21-2012, 01:33 AM
I am looking to get one of these aquatech regulators too any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Nalu, where did you go to get the CO2 tank from?

I can't complain about the Aquatech regulator, I have it for a week now, got it from ebay 62 or so dollars. It has a working pressure of 30psi so you don't have to play with that.
I read good reviews about it on plantedtank.net and decided to buy it, I don't know about an end of tank dump (when the tank is empty that it releases all the gas at ones), but I didn't read any of this yet, so it seems like the regulator won't have this.

I bought my 20lb tank from beverage control for 98$ http://www.beveragecontrol.net/default.asp