PDA

View Full Version : Favorite plants

Hilde
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
I would like to know what your favorite plants are. For I want to start growing plants to sell. For I can't stop spending on this hobby.

Demonfish
01-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I like java fern. Hard water or soft, low-light. Really hard to kill.

ronv
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Java fern, java moss. I can't grow plants so I like things that are hardy. I would say duckweed but Ken would probably kick me out of the club...

geotek
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Is there a demand for larger floating fairly hardy plants? Such as frogbit, riccia, salvinia, Nymphia Tiawan, water lettuce, or water column floaters such as hornwort ? Surely one of these can substitute for duckweed. LOL

AU ALUM
01-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I think everyone like anubias, they always seem to do pretty well at the auctions... another one of those easy to care for hard to kill plants

ronv
01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Actually there is a case for duckweed. I have read that it is perhaps the best nitrogen absorber of all the plants we keep. A good growth of duckweed can cut down on water changes...

Demonfish
01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
There is a steady demand for riccia and other plants fry can hide in. They don't get big $, though.

geotek
01-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Frogbit does quite well at absorbing nitrogen as well, plus it's easy to see when it has used up the available nitrogen as the new leaves turn pale.

Apisto Jim
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
1. Java moss - it supports a complete eco-system for free-swimming fry to graze on and offers cover for the non-alpha inhabitants.

2. Frogbit and water sprite - helps new tanks balance the bio-load and reduces algae until the stemmed plants get established.

africancichlidkid
01-31-2012, 01:18 AM
speaking of frogbit... can anyone bring some to the meeting?

geotek
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
speaking of frogbit... can anyone bring some to the meeting?

If Peter doesn't make it to the meeting, I can bring you a lot of frogbit, how much are you looking for?

africancichlidkid
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
If Peter doesn't make it to the meeting, I can bring you a lot of frogbit, how much are you looking for?

Looking for some to use in a 55 and in a 20 gallon

wacky
05-22-2012, 06:04 PM
I love these because, I have had a little success growing them Rotala Rotundifila ..... Java Moss ..... Eriocaulon Parkeri .... Dwarf Narrow-Leaf Sagittaria Subulata .... well I guess Java Moss will grow on and in about everything ...... but I love the look of the Rotala, Erio Parkeri and the Dwarf Sag ...... I have just got some but not sure how they are going to do Aquatic Banana Plant, but it looks cool!!!!!

sebastian
07-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I really like water sprite, a little goes a long way and it is very easy to grow. I also like my jungle val and cryptocoryne retrospiralis (picked up from petland dunwoody). I've always liked the look of hemianthus cuba but I don't think I have the hardware to maintain it in a tank.

Pierre
07-08-2012, 11:10 PM
ECHINODORUS ANGUSTIFOLIA "VESUVIUS": I love how they twist and work well in medium - low light (at least in my tank). I have a few to spare if you are interested.

Hilde
07-12-2012, 11:40 AM
ECHINODORUS ANGUSTIFOLIA "VESUVIUS": I have a few to spare if you are interested.
Yes, It is lovely. Thanks!! I don't have room for it now, though. Perhaps after I sell some ferns I will have room for it. Don't know when that will be, for working 2 jobs things are a bit hectic now.