PDA

View Full Version : P. pulcher (Kribensis) With Fry & Just a *little* BBA

Dasher
03-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, what a fun way to get up this morning! My kribensis have finally made babies in my 55 gallon tank. I was talking with Louis at Petland and even Louis's father stopped by the house this past Friday and I do believe he made a mention that a female was looking rather colorful!

The fry appear to be subsisting on the black beard algae in the bottom of the tank. I'm taking David Ramsey to task and I have my SAP submission ready!

Enough babble...I don't have a count yet, but I'm thinking there are about 25 of the fry. A video will be forthcoming too (I'm such a breeding nerd, aren't I?)

Thanks for looking!

D.

edit: Here's the video, can't load photos right now...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tzzkdda/6969834163/

africancichlidkid
03-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Oh the joy of documenting spawning/fry raising. Good job Dan!

kwseiders
03-10-2012, 07:08 PM
They are probably not living on the BBA, but on the microscopic creatures that live in the algae. The kribensis fry are large enough to eat baby brine shrimp right away. They will also eat microworms. I have found kribensis fry to be voracious eaters. Good luck!

Dasher
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Well, cancel the band and streamers....I think the other inhabitants of the tank had a little midnight snack Saturday night. I went down there Sunday morning and there were no fry to be seen. Time to set up a cichlid husbandry tank, ah, another tank!

D.

Igster
03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Look around - they may be hiding. I had a pair that regularly had babies, and it was a treat to see the mom shepherd them around while the dad stood lookout. She would take them right into the middle of a big clump of java moss and they'd literally disappear. It was also hard to spot them if they were in "bambi" mode - hiding in plain sight sitting right on the bottom of the tank, on top of the gravel.

Dasher
03-12-2012, 01:49 PM
I will, thanks for the positive mojo!

D.

Dasher
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, the OP fry on this thread have long since been digested, but this weekend I discovered new fry in my 125. I've got some java moss in there and I'm hoping for a better result. Here's a quick video I took this weekend:

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/photos/tzzkdda/7229294236/

Thanks for looking, (these BAP points can be hard to get!)

D.

ronv
05-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Get them out Dan...

kwseiders
05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Nice tank decor! Oh wait, there were fish? Really, I have a pair of kribensis that routinely have fry in their quasi community tank. There are ancistrus (about 6) corydoras paleatus (about 15) a siamese algae eater, another large krib male, and currently about 20 krib teenagers, and the parents have 10 fry that they are shepherding around at the moment. It is a 20 gallon tank. My kribs are very good parents, having raised as many as 30 fry in one batch, and as soon as one batch gets big enough, they chase those babies away (to the other side of the java fern anyway) and start over again. It is like a krib factory. Is this the first time those kribs have bred for you?

Dasher
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Ken - I don't know for sure, they could be the same parents as the original posting parents in this thread. It's funny and sad, I am eager to get fry to try and get my BAP point award but the kribs have fry in a 125 with lots of other fish, right in front of the intake to my FX-5 filter. What doesn't get eaten by other fish gets eaten by the filter. I'm going to do a better job, I now have a free 10 gallon tank that is ready for fry.