PDA

View Full Version : Hemichromis ID

pawslover
03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Can anyone positively ID this Hemichromis species? They were labeled H Lifalili when I bought them, but they are darker & bigger than the other lifalili I've seen in person. I've looked at several articles & images and there seems to be a lot of confusion concerning the similar species. I've had these for several years and they are about 4". Sorry the pic is not great. Cell phone camera.

Demonfish
03-22-2012, 08:01 PM
All the "lifalili" going around our club are actually H. guttatus. Christatus are smaller and redder, bimaculatus are bigger and less red, but some of them may be H. guttatus as well

kwseiders
03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Also, perhaps they are darker because they are on black gravel. My fish are usually much darker when on black gravel.

ronv
03-23-2012, 07:31 AM
There are also lots of hybrids out there. Crosses between the various species that complicate the ID process even more.

pawslover
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I picked these up at one of the Charlotte auctions several years ago. I'm pretty sure the seller said the parents came from Ken so they are probably h guttatus then. I wouldn't mind getting some more but was worried about the hybrid thing & wanted to make sure I get the same species.