PDA

View Full Version : Madagascar lace plant

Igster
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Are these compatible with a discus environment? I've been reading conflicting information about keeping this plant...some say they are easy, others say that they are almost impossible...most seem to concur, however, that they do best in relatively cooler water than what you would find discus kept in - say, under 80*F...

The one I have in my planted discus community tank(set at 84/86*F) had all its leaves disappear, but the bulb/rhizome/whateveryacallit seems to be pearling - emitting fine bubbles every few minutes from different places?

ronv
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I know absolutely nothing about plants so take this with a grain of salt but I wonder if the "pearling" is actually decomposition gasses?

Chris Noto
04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Lace Plant is one of the Aponogetons, bulb plants that require drying out after a growing season. I'd guess that you've got a dead bulb there.

There was an article by Christel Kasselmann in a recent issue of the AGA journal, The Aquatic Gardener (http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/tag.html), about collecting Aponogetons in Madegascar. One of the sites in which she found them was very hot, shallow water, so I'd say that you could keep them in a Discus tank without any special problem.

I'd have to agree with Ron, though, that the bubbles being produced by your bulb could not possibly be the result of pearling, if, by that, you mean the production of oxygen bubbles by photosynthesis. No leaves = no photosynthesis.

Igster
04-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Ted Colletti's article in The Planted Tank says that it does not need to be "dry rested" - that it goes thru a warm water dormant perdiod and then sprouts again in the fall once the water cools down.

Chris Noto
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Ted Colletti's article in The Planted Tank says that it does not need to be "dry rested" - that it goes thru a warm water dormant perdiod and then sprouts again in the fall once the water cools down.

You, and Ted, may be right! I was just quoting from Kasselmann, who had been to the field, where the plants originate, and then had done controlled experiments on the effects of growing Aponogetons, though not the Lace Plant, both with and without a period of dormancy. According to her, the species tested were not able to be cultivated, for any length of time, without a dormant period. Of course, YMMV. :)

All the best.