PDA

View Full Version : Eco-Complete and CO2

SeeTheCityLights
04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I have two questions.
First off, can I mix Eco-Complete with plain aquarium sand? or is it better to use the E-C alone? There are so many conflicting answers.
Secondly, I have a 100g that I want to turn into a heavilly planted discus/tetra tank. What CO2 system can I use that will work on that many gallons, and $100 is about my limit for it. Could I use a liquid CO2 instead, or does that not work as well? Links to things I could use would be great.
Thanks in advance! :)

Larry Bugg
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
You need to first determine what kind of plants you are going to grow. With low light plants you can get away with supplementing with a little Seachem Excel. With high light plants you are going to need pressurized Co2. The tank is too large for DIY Co2 to be affective. You will be hard pressed to do pressurized Co2 for $100 unless you can find a really good deal on a used setup.

Do you already keep discus? Are you planning on buying adult discus vs juvies. I ask because it is very difficult to grow discus out in a planted tank. Sub adults to adults do great. If you want to talk some about discus just let me know.

SeeTheCityLights
04-16-2012, 08:44 PM
You need to first determine what kind of plants you are going to grow. With low light plants you can get away with supplementing with a little Seachem Excel. With high light plants you are going to need pressurized Co2. The tank is too large for DIY Co2 to be affective. You will be hard pressed to do pressurized Co2 for $100 unless you can find a really good deal on a used setup.

Do you already keep discus? Are you planning on buying adult discus vs juvies. I ask because it is very difficult to grow discus out in a planted tank. Sub adults to adults do great. If you want to talk some about discus just let me know.

Okay, thank you. I bought a few plants at Petco just to see how they'd do. Not really sure whether they are low/high light, I'll have to look into that.
I haven't kept discus. By grow out, do you just mean to make them bigger? I want them solely for the purpose of enjoyment, not breeding or selling or anything like that. I have been keeping a watch on craigslist and most of them are around 3". Is that size okay? I am on a budget so I can't go and spend $50 on just one fish.

Larry Bugg
04-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Okay, thank you. I bought a few plants at Petco just to see how they'd do. Not really sure whether they are low/high light, I'll have to look into that.
I haven't kept discus. By grow out, do you just mean to make them bigger? I want them solely for the purpose of enjoyment, not breeding or selling or anything like that. I have been keeping a watch on craigslist and most of them are around 3". Is that size okay? I am on a budget so I can't go and spend $50 on just one fish.

The problem is that young discus need very clean water and a lot of food to grow out properly. Planted tanks make this very difficult. Most of us who keep and breed discus suggest that it is easiest and best to keep juvies in a bare bottom tank till they get to the 4 to 4 1/2" range. It really simplifies things and the survival rate and health is much better under these conditions. Do some reading and research before spending the money. One of the best places is here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forum.php. Hate to say it but discus really aren't a budget fish. They are expensive and you don't want to make that investment and then end up losing them. A good hobbyist breeder will charge you about $10 to $15 an inch for young discus. You do need to know what you are looking for when purchasing them to make sure you are getting some decent quality. If you want to talk more indebth about discus let me know. I'll be happy to share with you what I know.

SeeTheCityLights
04-16-2012, 09:57 PM
I am able to do water changes every day, and have a lot of free time to take care of them, so I'm prepared for that.
Do I have to buy a big batch all at once, or can I get a small bunch, then add a couple more a week or so later, then add a couple more..?
and my biggest concern right now is food... I get a lot of conflicting answers... Hikari Discus Gold, or New Life Spectrum 1mm Cichlid pellets, or what?

Larry Bugg
04-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Daily water changes are definitely a plus but you will never really get the substrate clean enough. I don't want to beat a dead horse but many people (myself included) have tried and been dissappointed with the results.

Discus are chiclids and do best in groups of 6 or more. While a peaceful fish they can be very aggressive with each other establishing a pecking order. A larger group helps with this aggression. Just like with any other tropical fish you should always QT new arrivals for 4 or 5 weeks before introducing them to the existing tank. For this reason and the aggression it is best to purchase a group of 6 or more at one time.

Discus will eat a lot of different foods. They need a good varied diet that is high in protien. I feed mine Freeze dried black worms, a quality beefheart flake and earthworm flake, Tetra color bits, Freeze dried blood worms and a beef heart mix that I make.