PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your plants?

ATLTJL
04-25-2012, 04:36 AM
I don't have too much experience with planted tanks as I always opted for the fake stuff.

However, my crystal red shrimp tank is almost ready to go and the last thing I need to add before the shrimp themselves are the plants.

My question is, where is the best place to buy live plants? Plain old Petsmart seems to be the only location near me that even sells them, and their selection isn't great. For those who have live plants, where do you like to buy them?

Also, what would you recommend for a crystal shrimp tank? Everyone says java fern and java moss, so I'll get those, anything else? It's only a 10 gallon tank, so I'd like to avoid potted plants.

kwseiders
04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
The monthly meetings are the best place to buy plants. If you need particular plants, most times someone can bring some to the meeting for you. If you cannot get to the meeting, let us know what you want and maybe someone has it. Or come visit my house, I can fill up a 10 gallon with plants most any day of the week. When I have purchased plants online, I have used http://www.aquariumplants.com/Default.asp. The rest I have picked up at meetings, from other hobbyists, and occasionally at Pet Supermarket (echinodorus and cryptocorynes). I have never found an aquatic plant at Petsmart that I purchased.

Apisto Jim
04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree that the AAAA is the best source for plants. Outstanding quality, amazing selection and you can ask the grower for plant care. I have more than a dozen species growing all sourced from our auctions.

jmcb1984
04-25-2012, 03:07 PM
www.plantedtank.net in the swap n shop section

Garfieldnfish
04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
A great plant for any shrimp is Suesswassertang (fresh water kelp). My shrimp love it. Also anacharis and floating water sprite works well. I personally do not like the water sprite as it definitely does not like me and routinely dies within days. But the Suesswassertang does great for me, so anyone can grow this stuff. Pellia is another good shrimp tank plant.

Hilde
05-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Besides at the meetings I have been getting plants (crypts, hair grass, bacopa) at Pet Supermarket in Smyrna for $4.

I like wisteria for helping to control ammonia. I have it in a 10 gallon tank with a 12 watts LED light. It is not out growing the tank.