PDA

View Full Version : Badis badis "Blue Dwarf/Blue Perch" - Any Experience?

Dasher
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I've just recently learned about this dwarf cichlid called Badis badis. Anyone here kept this fish before? If so, what was your experience with it? Thanks!

Dan.

Demonfish
04-26-2012, 02:21 PM
It isn't a cichlid. Badis aren't cichlidae, they have their own family. I have seen them at auctions.

ronv
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM
They are around from time to time. I currently have Badis assamensis and have had Badis buxar spawn for me. I think Bob Major has Badis badis. Bob is the expert...

Dasher
04-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks Ron. Next time I see him I'll bend his ear.

D.

BobMajor
04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
I've just recently learned about this dwarf cichlid called Badis badis. Anyone here kept this fish before? If so, what was your experience with it? Thanks!

Dan.
Badis come from India and Burma There are new species being discovered mostly in Burma which has been closed to fish collectors for many years but has opened up in resent years. The blue badis is Badis badis badis .The males are blue but the females are more drab. Males are more elongated and females are more rounded and stocky. The are cave breeders and breed like bettas with the male embracing the female and fertilizing the eggs .The male takes charge of the eggs in the cave .He will drive off the female during this time. It is best to remove her unless they are in a large tank. Not sure how many days the eggs take to hatch the fry have just showed up in my tank. These fish are usually not shy at feeding time so if you dont see the male there is agood chance he is guarding eggs. After the fry are free swiming the female is tolerated by the male and if well fed they dont seem to bother the fry.The fry are very slow growing until the reach about 1/2 "n they grow fast