PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Amazon Sword

jacklo
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and hope to make the next AAAA meeting. I figure this is the place for good answers rather than my local pet stores. I have a well planted 30 gal. tank with cardinal and red serpae tetras. Plants include an amazon sword, some java fern, banana plant and some other smaller plants that I don't know the name of. Sorry, I don't know the proper names. Everything is doing well, but twice now, the sword plant, which is putting out shoots and doing really well, loses all the green in most of the leaves (chlorosis?). After I cut off all the dead leaves, it starts all over, growing well and filling the tank. Any idea why it does this? And, it seems to be only the sword plant. The others seem to be unaffected. I do not use CO2, except from the fish. I use fertilizer tabs in the gravel and liquid in the water. But, I don't fertilize very often. Could it be that it's not getting enough nutrients?

Also, and I don't know if this is connected or not, but I just had a big die off of the red serpae tetras, some of the cardinals and a pleco. I was out of town, but when I got back, I did a water change and the remaining fish looked fine. My tests show ammonia 0, and pH ~6. It's been 6 for quite a while. I've tried adjusting it with Seachem neutral regulator, but can't get it to move! I'm afraid to put too much in.

Sorry for the long post. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Jack

rlswaney73
06-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the forum, swords are heavy root feeders... make sure you're getting the fert tabs close to them... and that the tabs have a good iron content. How about lighting, what type, duration? You could also dose excel or florin-axis as a co2 replacement. I wouldn't worry to much about adjusting the PH, the GH/KH of our water is very low (not too much buffering capacity)

jacklo
06-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks! Didn't think it was systemic cause the other plants are still doing fine. I've probably been too conservative on the fert.