PDA

View Full Version : siphoning fish shart out of planted tank?

spidangular
06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm thinking about going planted and using the dark brown round little BBs as substrate. What do I do about siphoning out the fish crap? Once the plants grow in I can't move everything around and stir it all up like I do with the few java fern that I have in gravel substrate. yes, they will be small fish. do I just ignore it?

also.. anybody got any leftovers of that type of substrate I was describing? I'm going to start with low-tech 10gallon. no time or money for lights, co2 and accessories.
thanks!

hsd
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Not sure what substrate you are talking about, maybe flourite? floramax? Petsmart over on johnson ferry had the floramax for $8 or $10 a bag. In my planted tank I don't siphon the fish poop that often, I'll try to make a quick pass over the substrate where I can see it, other than that fish poop = fertilizer for the plants. Do you have a stock hood with light for the 10g? It should be more than enough to grow a good number of plants.

By the way awesome planted tank site http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/
and database of plants here http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

gofish
06-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I agree. I just do water changes in my planted aquariums and fertilize. Fish poop makes good plant fertilizer!!! Actually, I never see fish poop in my planted tanks and I have a flourite with pool filter sand on top. Maybe it just dissolves away?

Brian

gloriousbettas
06-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the plant links. Good info. My wild bettas do best with lots and lots of plants - low light and low-med floating plants and driftwood. My betta splendens do well with lace java fern, pellia and some java moss. I use water sprite, hornwort and lace java fern, java moss and/or pellia in the spawn tanks.

kwseiders
06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
I gently vacuum the substrate, putting the Python vacuum tube right on top of (but not into) the substrate, often into the plants. In areas without plants, I vacuum right into the gravel. I have to turn the vacuum flow down when using with smaller substrate. I mostly get plant bits, but also get quite a lot of other junk. (I also get most of the subwassertang :sad2:, but have learned to leave some behind.) I can't change the water without getting some of the gunk off the bottom.