PDA

View Full Version : Before and After - what a difference education makes

mstamper
06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I have replanted both of my tanks. I learned quickly that most of the plants I had in my tanks were not really true aquatic plants. Thanks to Geotek, I was able to purchase a ton of trimmings from him and removed the old non / semi aquatic plants and replanted with full aquatics.

I added 10 pounds of Flourite to the 29g tanks as it already had a mix of fluorite and small crushed gravel in the substrate and changed out most of the pea gravel in the 20L with 20 pounds of Flourite. What a mess flourite is. It took me 3 hours to rinse out 30 pounds of the stuff.

The lighting on the 29G is 2- 23w and 1- 13w CFL's in shop lights purchased from HD. I painted them with engine primer and High Gloss black engine enamel paint for about a third of the cost of ZOO MED or Fluker's lights. I am in the process of doing the same with the 20L. I will be using 3 - 13w CFL's for that tank.

The white bags in each tank are crushed coral. My Ph is lower than I want (20l is around 6.0 - 6.2, 29 is around 6.6), I want to get them and my QT to all be around 6.8 or 7 that way if I have to move fish I am not freaking anyone out Ph wise at least.

I am interested in your comments.

Mark

mstamper
06-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I have pics of all the plants laid out on a couple of towels before being planted. I will post them up later. I would be interested in having them identified so that I can learn the proper and common names.

kwseiders
06-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Well good for you. Those look so much nicer, and with time will actually grow (instead of slowly dying like those non-aquatic plants). It is a definite improvement.

joecoulson
06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Great start, looking forward to see how they fill in.