PDA

View Full Version : Blue green algae battle

Angeredbug
07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Ok so I need help battling the dreaded Cyanobacteria plague. I have a nursery tank that was doing great growing my fry in. I started to quickly grow algae which the fish seemed to eat off so I wasn't too worried. The algae started covering everything in the tank(plants, rocks, glass) to a point I couldn't see in. Cleaned it off came right back. I got some red cherry shrimp to help clean the algae before I realized it was Cyanobacteria which they won't eat. Now the questions start, how do I get rid of this plague? I have another tank should I just trade out? If I trade out how do I get the cyano out of my java fern and java moss. Any advice would be helpful. I've been doing water changes but it doesn't seem to help. I have two big tanks that I have cycled water so the exchange would be easy.

geotek
07-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Red cherry shrimp will eat cyanobacteria, in my experience. Maybe you could give details about your tank, that might help us point you in the right direction.

caricell
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Maracyn. (NOT Maracyn II). Use 1/2 strength of what is recommended on the package. After 4 days most if not all of your blue-green algae will be gone.

Ok so I need help battling the dreaded Cyanobacteria plague. I have a nursery tank that was doing great growing my fry in. I started to quickly grow algae which the fish seemed to eat off so I wasn't too worried. The algae started covering everything in the tank(plants, rocks, glass) to a point I couldn't see in. Cleaned it off came right back. I got some red cherry shrimp to help clean the algae before I realized it was Cyanobacteria which they won't eat. Now the questions start, how do I get rid of this plague? I have another tank should I just trade out? If I trade out how do I get the cyano out of my java fern and java moss. Any advice would be helpful. I've been doing water changes but it doesn't seem to help. I have two big tanks that I have cycled water so the exchange would be easy.

Garfieldnfish
07-17-2012, 09:58 PM
E.M. tablets will get rid of it.

liz3
07-17-2012, 10:21 PM
i have this going on at a somewhat manageable, yet annoying level in my 120g tank. does erythromycin (marcyn & E.M.) cycle your tank? i know doxycycline does.

Angeredbug
07-17-2012, 10:33 PM
What agreement tablets

Angeredbug
07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Stupid spell correct computer hates me today? What are e.m. Tablets is what I meant to say

Demonfish
07-18-2012, 01:23 AM
erythromyacin.