PDA

View Full Version : Trying my hand at saltwater

laminatedgorilla
07-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Those of you that know me, know that I have been working on a 12 gallon aquapod for the past few months while I've been bouncing in and out of town. It has been fun working on this tank, it helps take my mind off of things.

I've been contemplating a saltwater tank for a while now, but what I would consider a deal hadn't presented itself until I came across this aquapod on craigslist.

After cleaning the dirt off the exterior(the previous owner left it sitting under a deck outside for over a year), I commenced cleaning the inside. That's when I noticed how one of the chambers had a huge dead spot from where it "L'd" under two of the other chambers. I can see where this would be a problem, so I removed the entire chamber assembly. Here is what it looked like after I removed it.

Using a razor blade, I cut out some of the chamber walls, being careful not not maim myself in the process. Here is the back after I removed what I wanted to.

I then used the plastic that I just removed to cover the bottom two sets of vents and to make the new chamber walls. I used aquarium sealant to hold everything in place. I now have a three chamber design in the back of my aquapod.

After searching a little bit I found an Intank media basket that is made for a nano 12, but fits into the aquapod fairly well. Here is what it looks like in the back.

After I sealed everything back up, I decided to tackle the lighting. Since I have no idea how long the cf ballasts would last,I gutted them and decided to take the LED route. I ended up getting two Ecoxotic panorama modules, both 12k/445nm combo. They actually screwed right into the mounts for the old lighting. I bought a two-way splitter to wire into the switches, so I wouldn't void the warranty on the lights if I have any problems down the line. I also tacked the wire down with sealant to keep it from rattling. In my error I applied too much voltage to the stock lunar lights and had to replace them as well. This picture is before the lunar lights were installed, but you get the idea.

Here is a picture of the lights with the cover on, again before I installed the lunar lights. I used a thin bead of sealant around the mating surfaces of the clear cover and the hood to make sure it would stay water tight.

With the lights finished, it's time to bring it all together and give it a test run. With my fingers crossed, I plugged everything up, flipped some switches and was pleasantly surprised when nothing blew up in my face.

So here is the set up now. I chamber one I have the media basket with floss, chemi-pure elite and purigen in it. Chamber two has an Eheim jager 50w heater and some rubble. Chamber three is where the Cobalt Aquatics mj-900 is running. Other than that, I added a Hydor koralia nano 240 for recirculation.

With some live rock and live sand, it is starting to look like an actual tank. I also got super nice rock from Len & Marcie(thanks guys!).

I picked up some frags yesterday and will post some more pics when the lights are on.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

wacky
07-29-2012, 02:47 PM
looks cool so far!!!

laminatedgorilla
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks,

I picked up a some frags last week, here are a few pics.

I was messing around with the settings in the camera and came across a pop art filter. I think it looks pretty cool.

Thanks for looking.

AU ALUM
08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
That tank looks great. I really like those Zoas, are the ones in the last picture Fire and Ice?

J.B.
08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Looks great, LG...the frogspawn and the toadstool are my faves, but the zoas are nice too!

laminatedgorilla
08-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, they are fire and ice zoas. I've been trying to find some macro (other than cheato), it doesn't feel right having a tank without something green in it.

lilhebert
08-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Is that a goniopora? Or Xenia?

metro6775
08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Are you referring to pic 5? I think that is a toadstool.

laminatedgorilla
08-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah, if you're talking about the fifth picture, it's a ORA green toadstool.