PDA

View Full Version : Are there any plants that can live in a normal lighted tank?

Tdam
08-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Not trying to start a planted tank. Just wanna add some live plants instead of fake plastic ones. I don't wanna have to buy any special lights or CO2 or whatever.

So, are there any plants that can thrive in just a PC lighted tank?

Also, I have a green terror, blood cichlids, and a EBJD. Not sure if they will munch on them.

Demonfish
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't know if they will munch, they will definitely uproot plants and leave them floating or stuck to your filter intake. Jave fern is good "low-light" plant. That is what you want low or very-low light aquatic plants.

hsd
08-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Try this site, has a plant database
http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php
can look at plants based on different requirements, click on the lighting requirements button, then low light.

metro6775
08-06-2012, 06:37 AM
I have had Java Fern grow well in PC lighting. I have had Crypts do ok. My anubias would always get algae on the leaves and grew very slow.

spidangular
08-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Holy crap! you just described my venture into the aquarium hobby!... only, I had a green terror and an oscar in a 10 gallon until the oscar started bullying.. So I HAD to get a bigger tank, so in came the 55 gal and the 10 gal stayed put. my dumbass didn't realize the importance of a stand and I didn't have extra furniture to put it on and the wife wouldn't let me make the two-by-four build-it-yourself unfinished looking stand and put it in the dining room. So then I went on craigslist and found another 55 gal tank with lights and stand for $50! I bring that home, set it up and somebody had the nerve to give me an enormous office desk (as my wife would put it) and all of a sudden I had somewhere to set the other 55 gallon tank...! now I got three tanks and water sploshing everywhere and no time to do things like make a household budget.

Wow, isn't driftwood cool? doesn't that wood just make that tank look peaceful? let's go get a ton of wood!

Aren't those planted tanks you see online beautiful? oh, but they're too hard, and the algae!...

I'm not done but I have to go. I'll finish this later. BTW, where do you live, Tdam?

Not trying to start a planted tank. Just wanna add some live plants instead of fake plastic ones. I don't wanna have to buy any special lights or CO2 or whatever.

So, are there any plants that can thrive in just a PC lighted tank?

Also, I have a green terror, blood cichlids, and a EBJD. Not sure if they will munch on them.

caricell
08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Please try to keep this on topic.

Thanks!

Holy crap! you just described my venture into the aquarium hobby!... only, I had a green terror and an oscar in a 10 gallon until the oscar started bullying.. So I HAD to get a bigger tank, so in came the 55 gal and the 10 gal stayed put. my dumbass didn't realize the importance of a stand and I didn't have extra furniture to put it on and the wife wouldn't let me make the two-by-four build-it-yourself unfinished looking stand and put it in the dining room. So then I went on craigslist and found another 55 gal tank with lights and stand for $50! I bring that home, set it up and somebody had the nerve to give me an enormous office desk (as my wife would put it) and all of a sudden I had somewhere to set the other 55 gallon tank...! now I got three tanks and water sploshing everywhere and no time to do things like make a household budget.

Wow, isn't driftwood cool? doesn't that wood just make that tank look peaceful? let's go get a ton of wood!

Aren't those planted tanks you see online beautiful? oh, but they're too hard, and the algae!...

I'm not done but I have to go. I'll finish this later. BTW, where do you live, Tdam?

Demonfish
08-10-2012, 07:24 PM
ah, lighten up. Thread go where they go.

Tdam
08-11-2012, 07:55 PM
All good. it's okay. thread was kinda dead anyways. It's nice to see someone sound so excited. haha

Spidangular, I'm in the Lawrenceville area.

Update, I got a moss ball and java fern. It's been only a few days, but so far so good. Not sure if they will stay alive, but at least none of my fish are nipping on the leaves.

byork
11-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I know this thread is kinda old but..... I have a TON of floating fern. I haven't found a fish that can eat it faster than it grows. I have it in all my tanks. It does well with or without CO2, fertilizer or special lights. It is attractive in my opinion you can plant it or let it float. The fry love it!!! 1431
This is a pic of one of my mother plants. I would try it if your looking for something that is attractive and grows well in all conditions.