View Full Version : cichlid fry tank setup questions

08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
hello fellow fish keepers. i have a few questions about setting up and raising blue cobalt fry. ive had live bearer fry before but never these.
1. is a 10g tank large enough for 20 fry? is it too large?
2. is a whisper filter alrightto use?
3. should i aquascape the tank with gravel rocks and plants?

answers to these questions are welcomed and appreciated much. any othe advice is welcomed also! thanks so much.

08-13-2012, 12:59 AM
A 10 will be okay for a month or 3 then you will need to upsize. A 15 is better, and it only takes up 2" more in each direction. Mbuna fry are smart, large and fast so there is no problem with having them in a large tank, they will find food. A 30L is a good size for 20 fry that you need to get to 1.5" to sell.
A whisper is fine if is "cycled", a brand new filter won't be ready for the load. Better to run an extra on an established tank until you need it.
gravel, rocks and plants are nice, but not necessary. I would use a few handfuls of gravel from an established tank, some small pvc pieces and let some hornwort float, but only if the tank has a light.

08-13-2012, 08:21 PM
thanks for the info. its been cycled but i also added another hang on, a 20g. i "planted" some hornwort and also have some floating. thanks again!