PDA

View Full Version : what.is this?

Elleabridges
08-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Found this in my pond....what is it?

gofish
08-21-2012, 04:57 PM
From the picture, it looks like it could be Hygrophila corymbosa v. stricta. Did it flower? H. corymbosa produces little purple flowers:

kwseiders
08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I think it looks like the rare african Strangling Vine. Has been known to grow up to 18 feet per day, and seeks unsuspecting wildlife as it's prey. Have been known to eat birds, lizards, stray animals and even, on rare occasions, humans (though there is mostly just anecdotal evidence). They thrive in warm temperatures, but if temperatures cool down, they can burrow in the soil, remaining alive during the colder months (of course, this trait wasn't discovered until they were, quite by accident, introduced into the United States unnoticedin a bag of imported, and rare, Blood Cats, who were later discovered to have a symbiotic relationship with the Strangling Vine, hence the name) and come back with renewed vigor in the spring. Most humans are warned to avoid this plant at all costs, mainly for safety reasons.

Or it could just be a weed.

J.B.
08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
LMBO...I love your answers, Ken...only you could come up with something like that.

Elleabridges
08-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Lol shesh needed the smile ;)

No flowers. And in shade plus very small. Growing low with trailers .

gofish
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
It still sounds better than duckweed. Ken, how many HAP points for Strangle Vine (Vitis angina)? :gickle:

Elleabridges
08-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Well was thinking of putting in my aquarium but I don't want to hurt my fish.

kwseiders
08-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Seriously, it is probably just some kind of weed. I have all kinds of weeds that begin growing in my pond. Many terrestrial plants will grow with their roots submersed in the water, but if you submerse the entire plant, it will die. That plant was most likely a seed that found itself in a wet environment, so decided to grow. You could try submersing the plant in the pond, so it is growing underwater, and see if it keeps growing. Some plants, like Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal Plant) grow both emersed and submersed, and look completely different each way.

byork
09-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Do it have a fragrance?

Elleabridges
09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
No but it is growing in my tank. Brought it in planted it and its alive.

AllenIsbell
10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I think it looks like the rare african Strangling Vine. Has been known to grow up to 18 feet per day, and seeks unsuspecting wildlife as it's prey. Have been known to eat birds, lizards, stray animals and even, on rare occasions, humans (though there is mostly just anecdotal evidence). They thrive in warm temperatures, but if temperatures cool down, they can burrow in the soil, remaining alive during the colder months (of course, this trait wasn't discovered until they were, quite by accident, introduced into the United States unnoticedin a bag of imported, and rare, Blood Cats, who were later discovered to have a symbiotic relationship with the Strangling Vine, hence the name) and come back with renewed vigor in the spring. Most humans are warned to avoid this plant at all costs, mainly for safety reasons.

Or it could just be a weed.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Now that is an imagination.