PDA

View Full Version : Algae ID?

aquanewbie
08-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know what kind of algae this is and what inverts or fish I could get to control it? I have 5 otos I bought last Thursday and they are only keeping the glass and my wisteria clean. I have some mts and baby mystery snails in the algae in the pics but this stuff is growing faster than they consume it. I bought some ghost shrimp yesterday to see if they eat it but have yet to confirm that they do. I want something that would get well fed on this stuff

gofish
08-27-2012, 09:04 AM
I think that's a fungus not an algae. I've seen this before on wood that has not cured completely. I have no idea what would eat that. I do know that it will go away on its own.

Brian

kwseiders
08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I usually get that in my tank after a large bioload has been drastically reduced. You can vacuum it out of the tank. Nothing eats it. I never knew what it was, just that water changes and physically cleaning it will get rid of it. Then when the tank stabilizes, it will not come back.

Demonfish
08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
rock snot?

aquanewbie
08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks so I will just get as much as I can out of it and try and get a name for this stuff

kwseiders
08-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks so I will just get as much as I can out of it and try and get a name for this stuff

I don't know. Demonfish's name for it has a certain ring to it.

hsd
08-28-2012, 07:35 AM
If it's growing on just that piece of wood, remove it and clean it before it spreads in the tank.

stevenjohn21
08-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Woaw, ive never seen so much of that. I usually clean it off as soon as i see it. Surely that will get you some good SAP points though !

pawslover
08-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I think that's a fungus not an algae. I've seen this before on wood that has not cured completely. I have no idea what would eat that. I do know that it will go away on its own.

Brian

I am currently soaking 2 pieces of Mopani wood in a 5 gal bucket. One of them keeps getting a fuzzy slime on it & the water smells BAD. I'm not sure that it's the same as the fungus in the above pic. How do I make sure that it is cured completely before putting it in the tank? Neither piece is floating but the water is still turning tea colored within 2-3 days of refilling the bucket.