PDA

View Full Version : Will AlgaeFix kill the plants in my tank, or just the algae?

Tdam
08-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Getting some algae. Can i add an algae medication? I have a few plants in the tank. Would AlgaeFix effect them?

gofish
08-28-2012, 05:57 PM
I've never used it, but I know some have mentioned on other forums using it successfully to clear green water and get rid of string type algae. I would use caution with any herbicide. It will kill also kill any invertebrates you have in your tank.

Brian

jpayne
11-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I have used this product before to treat green water with no success. What I ended up doing was a black out for almost a week before it cleared up. I would actually recommend the black out method over using a herbicide. You will get some die off from no light but on the bright side your algae problem should be fixed. Best of luck to you.

nalu86
11-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Before you treat for algae, you have to find the perfect ballance in light, fertilizers and co2.

Depends on the type of algae that you have but you better use Hydrogen Peroxide or excel.

Treating agains algae is just like a bandage on a wound, it doesn't fix the problem long term.