PDA

View Full Version : Geo. spawn... Calling Peter

ronv
09-03-2012, 02:07 PM
My Geo. "orange heads have spawned. Both the male and female are holding. Should I strip the eggs? How long should I wait? Will I need to "tumble" the eggs ( like mbuna). This is my first spawn of the mouth brooding geos. Yipee!

Butchhe
09-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I let mine carry the eggs when they spawned both times. It was really neat to watch how many of those little guys they can fit into their mouths. I think it was around the 2 week mark, if I remember right, when they started to let the young venture off a bit. My tank mates made sure they never came back. lol If you have other orange heads in there, especially female, they will try to get the male to drop the fry and breed with them leaving the fry for mom and whoever to scarf up. Are they in a tank of their own?

ronv
09-03-2012, 04:46 PM
They are in a 6' long 120 gal. tank with about a dozen other orange heads plus a few other assorted fish. I really want to get fry from this spawn (for BAP). If I'm successful I will probably put the entire adult colony into the fall auction and look for something else to put in the 120.

Butchhe
09-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I would strip them if you are looking for BAP. The first time my pair bred, there were 3 extra females that harassed the male while he was holding. Eventually he had enough and dropped the fry to go after one, the other two swooped in and ate the fry as mom was trying to pick them up. I was like watching a pack of wolfs work!

ronv
09-03-2012, 06:35 PM
If I strip, would I need to tumble like you do with mbuna?

Butchhe
09-03-2012, 07:02 PM
I would say so, but I'm not an expert at raising fry. Maybe someone else could weigh in.

peathenster
09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Congrats! :)

They will hold for about 4-5 days before the fry become free swimming. If they look comfortable in the tank, I usually leave them alone. It's a lot easier to siphon the fry out after the parents release them than stripping the fry. If you decide to strip them, do it at night when they are sound asleep to avoid struggles. If the fry are not yet free swimming, leave them with an airstone.

Good luck!

P.