PDA

View Full Version : Finally-Angelfish Fry!

bolivianbaby
10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I have been trying to breed angelfish for around 3 years and FINALLY have koi angelfish fry wigglers. Mom/Dad/fry are in a 55g tank as the only inhabitants. This is their first spawn.

I have read the fry can stay with the parents until about 3 weeks old. Since we have many successful angelfish breeders in the club, I was wondering if this information is correct and what else do I need to do to care for the parents/fry?

I was going to swap out both HOB filters for sponge filters to keep the fry from getting sucked up and was planning on letting the parents raise them to see how they do.

Demonfish
10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
You can use a sponge pre-filter over the power filter intake. Care is keep the water clean and supply a small food. microworms or baby brine shrimp. Don't feed until free swimming and don't worry too much for the first few days. There are a lot of small stuff living in a 55.

caricell
10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Congrats Luis..

Once they are free swimming the next couple of of days are critical. Try to get them live BBS the minute they start swiming on their own. When you feed them, shut off your filter, so the BBS stay in the tank long enough for the fry to find and get them.

Just hope the parents dont decide overnight that they are hungry. Ive had that happen quite often.

larry

I have been trying to breed angelfish for around 3 years and FINALLY have koi angelfish fry wigglers. Mom/Dad/fry are in a 55g tank as the only inhabitants. This is their first spawn.

I have read the fry can stay with the parents until about 3 weeks old. Since we have many successful angelfish breeders in the club, I was wondering if this information is correct and what else do I need to do to care for the parents/fry?

I was going to swap out both HOB filters for sponge filters to keep the fry from getting sucked up and was planning on letting the parents raise them to see how they do.

karl
10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Pics pics pics!

bolivianbaby
10-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Caricell-I'm not Luis. I'm Marie:)

Thanks for the advice, folks! I have some unwashed new pantyhose to put over the intakes on the HOB's (I'm running 2 on the tank) until the sponge filter has run long enough to maintain the beneficial bacteria. Going to have to get a BBS hatchery and get it up and running.

I'll work on pics, but this pair has moved the babies on me 3 times since I found the wigglers.

Got another question. In another 55, I have 5 black angels that laid eggs. Eggs are tan, a few are white. The fish are eating them. No big deal. I'm sure there will be more in a few weeks. What color are fertilized angelfish eggs and what color are unfertilized angelfish eggs that have just been laid? I know the eggs were laid within the past 24 hours because I did water changes yesterday and there were no eggs. I'm trying to figure out if I have a breeding pair or if one of the females is just "going through the motions" for lack of a better term.

bolivianbaby
10-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Here are pics of the koi pair and fry. The tank has a mirror on the back so that's why it looks like there are more than 2 adults in the tank.

caricell
10-07-2012, 08:48 PM
If the eggs turn solid white, they are no good. If they remain clear, they are fertilized and *should* hatch in about 3 days...when you will see wigglers.

Caricell-I'm not Luis. I'm Marie:)

Thanks for the advice, folks! I have some unwashed new pantyhose to put over the intakes on the HOB's (I'm running 2 on the tank) until the sponge filter has run long enough to maintain the beneficial bacteria. Going to have to get a BBS hatchery and get it up and running.

I'll work on pics, but this pair has moved the babies on me 3 times since I found the wigglers.

Got another question. In another 55, I have 5 black angels that laid eggs. Eggs are tan, a few are white. The fish are eating them. No big deal. I'm sure there will be more in a few weeks. What color are fertilized angelfish eggs and what color are unfertilized angelfish eggs that have just been laid? I know the eggs were laid within the past 24 hours because I did water changes yesterday and there were no eggs. I'm trying to figure out if I have a breeding pair or if one of the females is just "going through the motions" for lack of a better term.

bolivianbaby
10-08-2012, 06:08 PM
The fry went free-swimming today and the parents ate them:(. No big, I know I have a breeding pair and I know they'll spawn again. Next time I'll be better prepared.

caricell
10-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Next time take the eggs out 2 days after they lay them.

The fry went free-swimming today and the parents ate them:(. No big, I know I have a breeding pair and I know they'll spawn again. Next time I'll be better prepared.

bolivianbaby
10-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Larry. I will definitely try that:)

mullinsg44
01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Once they start spawning you will have plenty of chances to get it right. Since nov 30th. I have had 5 batches so far. The eggs hatch a little quicker then what i have been seeing i keep the tanks between 81 -82 wigglers start 48 hrs after being layed. About 4.5 days after that they start swimming. I let them stay with the parents 24 hrs that way mama plucks all the dead eggs about 24 hrs i pull the slate put in a 3 gal tank with meth blue and an air bubbler just in front of the eggs no filter. at about 40 hrs i start changing all the water slowly to get the blue out. I have a 55 gal set up with dechlorinaded water. After about a day i put them in a 10 gal tank with no substrate. giving them the right amount of food is very tricky. I tend to over feed them. I try to keep the tank clean after feeding. Then i run into the problem the nitrites start to rise and i end up getting all the bacteria sucked out from keeping nitrites and nitrates at 0. So i do a lot of water changes. I use corner bubble filters for the 1st 4 weeks or so. From what i have read hang on filters stress then out when they are really small from all the water flow. I hope after another month or so i can get this right and cut down on the work some. They can be mean little suckers. You can get away with keeping fry that has been born a week later in with the other fry but if they are 2 weeks apart they will kill smaller fry.