PDA

View Full Version : My Ivanacara adoketa

rlswaney73
11-04-2012, 05:41 PM
A little excitement during today's WC two females had a disagreement and locked jaws

Once that was settled, here is dominant male and female in their spot

djramsey
11-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Mine seem to be brain dead as far as where they spawn. They will spawn in the bottom of an overturned clay pot, the top underside, along the side, and on top of the pot. Then they will spawn on a flat area. Never the same place twice. Hopefully yours will spawn and you will get some eggs to actaully hatch! David

rlswaney73
11-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Hopefully, my water has a KH of 2, prob will need to mix in some R/O to get it down to 1 or less if these don't develop. I've heard they are prone (more so than regular) to bacterial and fungal attack so might also hook my UV back up to this tank. all of that aside, they are a newly formed pair so might take them awhile to get it right...

RLHam3
12-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Does anyone have any of these fish available?

djramsey
12-18-2012, 12:53 PM
3 pairs and a male with a missing?female. I have now had 23 spawns and not a single hatched egg. Talk about frustrating! David

peathenster
12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
3 pairs and a male with a missing?female. I have now had 23 spawns and not a single hatched egg. Talk about frustrating! David

I wonder what it is...something about water? Derek's group were from a different source and he had exactly the same problem.

EDIT: this is what the breeder told me a year ago:

"You can keep them (Adoketa) at any water parameters but they don't like it too hard... I'm raising them at 7.4 ph and 150 ppm hardness. They should be ready to spawn by late spring to early summer, and they're the mildest cichlid I've ever dealt with! The ONLY time they bicker is when they are ready to spawn! To spawn them you need to bring the Ph down to 6.0... I mix my tap water with rain water or RO water... temp. at 78 degrees!

See, I've given you ALL my secret! :-)"

Uptown Ruler
12-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I had a small number of eggs from one spawn make it...I pull the eggs from that spawn...Peter have they spawned yet...The guy I got mine from said they were spawning successfully in a growout tank with a ph >7....after our experiences I don't believe it

peathenster
12-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I had a small number of eggs from one spawn make it...I pull the eggs from that spawn...Peter have they spawned yet...The guy I got mine from said they were spawning successfully in a growout tank with a ph >7....after our experiences I don't believe it

I have them all in the same 55 and they are still trying to figure out who likes who. The two females fight from time to time. The males are always cool, lol

msheresy
12-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Does anyone have any of these fish available?

+1

I would also be interested. I've been thinking of creating a blackwater tank and these could be a good fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk