PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Mistake-Advise Please

byork
11-11-2012, 09:34 AM
I had to do a major trim last Friday. During the trim I planted some of the trimmings near 2 large hydrophillia corymbosa. Now they are melting. I assume I must have disturbed their root system significantly based on the degree of deterioration. Is there anything I can do? Should I pull them out before they become mush and cause a spike? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am typically one that just let's nature take its course but definitely don't want an aquarium full of dead or sick fish.

gofish
11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I doubt the melting was caused by your trimming. Are you using Flourish Excel? The only time I've seen H. corymbosa melt was when I added Flourish Excel to the tank. I think most Hygrophila sp. have a problem with Flourish excel.

Brian

butterflykissesdcw
11-11-2012, 02:13 PM
There's a few things that can cause this to happen.
1.) If temputure is different form one tank to another. Example if the plant came from tank A which had a temp of 78 and you transferred it to tank B which it's temp is 82 it shocks the plant.
2.) It can be that it went from low light to bright light or vice versa.
3.) If your adding salt to the tank it can have an affect.
4.) Sometimes fish can disturb the plant and cause this to happen.

Can you be a little more specific about what you did to your tank when you did your clippings please.

byork
11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for responding. I am not using Flourish Excel. I am using regular Flourish. I have been using it since I put the plants in the set up. I have several other corymbosa that seem unaffected. In the case you saw did it take a while for them to melt or did it happen right away? I did add Flourish after the trim and a partial water change. Could you explain the scenario a little more? I just did another change just in case. Plus my water is a little harder than I would like.
I am more worried that it will spread and I would lose more than just corymbosa. Is that likely?
More tank info....
Standard 55 gallon
My substrate is fluorite, sand and pea gravel. There are root tabs mixed in but I have not added any since the tank was initially set up during the summer. I have a DIY CO2 system that I have a regular change out schedule on. Three bottles changing the oldest out every other week unless it is clearly still fermenting then I watch it closely for decline.
Water parameters:
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm right know but usually higher
KH 9dKH
GH 12dGH
Sorry I have a million questions. Thank you for any assistance.

byork
11-11-2012, 04:27 PM
I went out of town for a week. So my husband was feeding my fish while I was gone. When I returned the aquarium was over grown. I typically trim every weekend and as needed but because I had to travel it had been 2 weeks since a trim. I did not miss any water changes. On Friday evening I trimmed back the ludwig (a couple of types) and wisteria significantly neither of which were near the corymbosa. I also removed some floating fern that was hogging the light. I have a small group of what looks like a bacopa sp. planted near the corymbosa. I found a piece floating and trimmed another piece so I planted (with my finger not the appropriate instrument) in with the rest of the group. Of course it didn't want to stay put so I had to do it again.

After I was done trimming/removing buckets full of ludwig, wisteria and floating fern. I did a 30% water change (added Prime) and put a cap full of Flourish in the power head flow.

Everything seemed fine yesterday but this morning I woke up and the corymbosa was melting.

I still have a lot of the trimmings in buckets and they are fine. Donating to LFS tomorrow.

It definately could have been the light. It would have been shaded before the removal of the fern. Should I cut back on the light? Or shade it and slowly let it adjust to the normal lighting?

If it was the light it may came back right?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

gofish
11-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Flourish would not cause the leaves to melt. Besides, I think I might have dipped the H. corymbosa into the Flourish Excel to get rid of some BBA and then saw the leaves melt. They apparently don't like that.

You mentioned that your water was harder than you would like it to be. I'm assuming that the water you change with is softer than what's in the tank? If that's the case, I would suspect osmosis. You'll see this often as outgassing from the leaf following a water change. It resembles pearling, but it's not caused by photosynthesis. When the concentration of a solute is higher on the inside than the outside of the plant cell, the solvent (water in this case) will tend to move outside the cell in order to establish an equilibrium. When plant cell have less water than they did before, you'll see wilting of the leaf.

I think you're plants will be fine. The plant should readjust to the new equilibrium within a day or so. Actually, it's a good time to fertilize your plants. As the plants re-absorb water, they will carry the nutrients that are in the water into the cells.

Brian

byork
11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Thank you for all your insight. It is looking better. No new growth but the stem didn't melt so I am hopeful.

byork
12-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Update
All but one if them survived. The others all branched and appear to be coming back fuller than before. Some of the leaves that were lost but that did not melt have taken to root and have new leaf growth.

Hilde
12-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Seems like something stressed them. Perhaps over feeding of fish? I find Brighwell aquatics FlorinAxis helps my plants when they start melting. I dose 6 ml daily for a week when having this problem. Recently aquired some hygro difformis and it is doing the same thing.

Cheapest here - http://www.lnt.com/product/aquatic-plant-supplements/11442-514900/brightwell-aquatics-florinaxis-carbon-krebs.html

byork
12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I think it was due to the massive trim and water change which lowered my kH, but I didn't turn down the co2 or change my fertilization plan. Which caused more acidic conditions. Basically over fertilization. I learned my lesson. No more big trims small ones more frequently. If you want some difformis I have bunches. It was unaffected. In fact it thrived as did the Ludwig. I even experimented with some difformis and Ludwig in an aquarium with almost brackish water. It wilted a little at first but then seemed right at home. Anyway I have so much I am experimenting so if you want some pm me.

planted_one
01-14-2013, 07:34 AM
I think it was due to the massive trim and water change which lowered my kH, but I didn't turn down the co2 or change my fertilization plan. Which caused more acidic conditions. Basically over fertilization. I learned my lesson. No more big trims small ones more frequently. If you want some difformis I have bunches. It was unaffected. In fact it thrived as did the Ludwig. I even experimented with some difformis and Ludwig in an aquarium with almost brackish water. It wilted a little at first but then seemed right at home. Anyway I have so much I am experimenting so if you want some pm me.

I am wondering more and more if Prime has more of an effect on Nitrate than most think. I have seen with large trimings and large water changes that it has a negative effect.
I have not tested this against performing large water changes while adding KNO3 to adjust (without trimming and substrate disturbance), though I am not sure how much to add
since I do not know how much it removes (I assume all in the water I add).

byork
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
That is a very interesting thought. I think my son and I may have a chemistry experiment for this Saturday:)