PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf hairgrass problem

stevenjohn21
12-13-2012, 09:24 AM
I bought some dwarf hairgrass (elecharvis parvula) about 3-4 months ago, and although it is growing (sending new runners out) its not growing upright like the beautiful lawn effect I see other tanks have. It just curls over, so I'm left with a scraggy look . Anybody have any tips ?

nalu86
12-13-2012, 11:08 PM
how big is the tank, what is the substrate, ferts, light, co2? how far is the light fom the rim, how deep is the tank?

stevenjohn21
12-14-2012, 09:53 AM
The tank is 10 gallon with soil substrate capped with pool filter sand and flourite mixed. I usually dose 1 cap of excel every other day and 1 cap of flourish twice a week. Lighting is 4x18watt T5 with insect fiberglass mesh on the splash screen so I can have the light sit on top of the tank without having too much light. I run 2 lights for 2 hours , 4 lights for 4 hours and then 2 lights for 2 hours before lights go out (total of 8 hours)
CO2 is DIY with 2x 2 liter bottles making the drop checker green all the time.

dont get me wrong, the grass is growing and it is very green but It just doesn't stand up right .... It just curls !

geotek
12-17-2012, 11:09 PM
What fertilizer dosing are you doing? With high light and CO2, the plants will use up nutrients quite quickly. I suspect a nutrient deficiency.

stevenjohn21
12-17-2012, 11:27 PM
I have not been doing a scheduled fert dosing to be honest. I was actually going to start today but did a water change so it will be tomorrow . I will update after Xmas and see if I can see a change. The weird thing is , is that HC is growing in the same same tank and its carpeting the front nicely .

Sena
12-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Could be over crowded, it's recommended to plant a bunch that's only a pencil's width an inch apart from each other so it would have room to spread out.