PDA

View Full Version : Questions on jewel chichlid fry

mullinsg44
02-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Have a few questions on jewel fry. This is the 3rd batch. The first 2 batches happened in a 125 tank. 2nd batch i did have them quarantined in the 125 tank they ate the babies after about 3 or 4 days. I moved them and their favorite house into a 36 bow front. Put a pair of jewels in the tank right next to them. I have been feeding frozen brine shrimp 1664 this time. Mom and dad are very friendly guess they know when i come to the tank its dinner. When should i pull the babies from their parents. I have a 10 gal set up and ready. I have raised all kinds of fish just not jewels.

Silver
02-01-2013, 02:05 AM
Ok this is just from my experience with jewels, I left the baby's with the parents for around a month with no problem but I guess you can take them out any time they don't need the parents to eat, but one thing I can tell you is the you have to take the baby's little by little (20 today, 20 tomorrow, 20 a day after tomorrow ........) If you take them all at once the male may kill the female and don't ask me why cuz idk. lol. hope it helps. be ready to feed those baby's they are eating machines lol.

Demonfish
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
You don't have to take the babies out. I've found the only way to jewels from spawning is to keep the fry with the parents. They will parent for a year and the babies are adults, its amazing.

Dasher
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Just looked at that picture - that's a heck of a lot of babies! I have 4 male jewels in a 55 (they are so beautiful) and I've been eager to get a female or two to get the BAP points for the jewels. I realize I may have to move a male or two once the females pair up - or should I just consider the 55 a home for only one pair?

Nice work!

Dan

aquariumfish
04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
its always amazing to see jewels and their fries. Have not had a chance to own any jewels before, maybe should start considering of getting a pair.
how do you differentiate between a male and female?

mullinsg44
05-14-2013, 12:46 AM
its always amazing to see jewels and their fries. Have not had a chance to own any jewels before, maybe should start considering of getting a pair.
how do you differentiate between a male and female? I know the male is bigger and when you have a pair in a tank alone you will get this. I have 1 batch in with mama had to take dad out she started picking on him chewed off his tail but he is ok. I have a 55 with many in it i have a total of between 300 and 400 now1963

Demonfish
05-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Females are fatter and males have pointier fins, females are more rounded look at the dorsal and the anal. But you can go to a tank, pick out the 2 reddest ones that hang out together, they are a pair, repeat.