PDA

View Full Version : Fluval plant tank

Ga_shrimp
02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Was going to purchase the shrimp version, but the seller broke the only one he had in stock. I ended up with the plant version(same thing just co2 added), and he added all the stuff from the other shrimp box also. Well since I really did not need the co2 I added that to my wife's planted bowl(plant growth to the extreme in there). This will be probably the last shrimp tank I set up for a while(yeah right:rolleyes:), but will post pics of all the others shortly. This one only has a group of oto's in it at the moment, a ramshorn, mystery snail(being moved to one of my koi ponds once the crs go in), pond snails, and a few ghost shrimp from my front goldfish pond. Now that its in great parameters and had been running for the better part of a month its time to put in the good shrimp. Last time I checked the GH:10, KH:0, PH:6.5, and not a bit of NO2 or NO3. I do have plans to build a shrimp pond but will have to get the misses on board on that. Well hope ya'll enjoy the pics.
The christmas moss is just starting to spread out over the logs, and all the other plants seem to be flourishing perfectly. I am not using co2 in the this tank nor any of my others with shrimp.

Mystery snail sniping all the food before anyone can get to it.

joecoulson
02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Cool tank, and nice shots too.

stevenjohn21
02-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Looking good ! What are using to buffer the Ph / Kh ? Your Gh seems a little high and might find a low survival rate for the shrimplets if you choose to breed them.

pastert33
02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Your tank looks really good! I have the Ebi version of this tank. Nothing is in it at the moment. Although, I must say be careful of the back foam piece. As I was drowning mine, it popped off! I've read where that is an issue a lot of times so I would just say be careful and watch it.

Ga_shrimp
04-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Got about 5 inches of bedding in the back and it has been going for quite some time now with hopefully no popping off of the back. I changed out some plants and the design a little. I did take out the adult Mystery snails since they bred in there. Now I have about 30 baby mysteries cruising with the pond snails. Below are a pic of some of the inhabitants now. The other thing I am happy to see is the Otto's bred. I have seen one little one, but they stay tucked into the christmas moss. The CRS(S to S+ v band tiger tooth) are doing great in here also. I will have to add more pics of some of my other tanks in the future.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z241/Ga_hoppinherp/DSCN2750_zps0126fbf3.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z241/Ga_hoppinherp/DSCN2748_zpsa39d73c8.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z241/Ga_hoppinherp/DSCN2729_zpsede4a7c5.jpg

civics14
04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
What kind of substrate are you using? I'm thinking about building a shrimp tank soon.

pastert33
04-16-2013, 10:40 AM
What kind of substrate are you using? I'm thinking about building a shrimp tank soon.

Looks to be Fluval Plant Stratum or Fluval Shrimp Stratum. I don't know the difference between them but I do know that when you buy the Ebi(Shrimp Stratum) or the flora(Plant Stratum) tank made by Fluval, the kit comes with the certain substrate.

I started out loving fish, BUT I think my passion has gone to shrimp. I have a 20L with red cherries and tigers, an ebi(8.8G) with orange eye blue tigers and a 5G with red crystal shrimp.

joecoulson
04-17-2013, 12:36 PM
LOVE this FTS shot, great looking aquascape

Ga_shrimp
04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Its the fluval bedding that came with the kit. All my other tanks I just use fluorite I caught it on sale and have about 60 pounds of it stacked up waiting to be used. I do like the fluval stuff, but have never gone wrong with fluorite.

AG36
04-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Any luck getting the CRS to reproduce ?

pastert33
04-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Ga_shrimp,

I'm assuming your tank came with a filter correct? The filter that came with my EBI is driving me nuts! It makes the rattling noise and no matter how many times I've taken it apart and lubed up the shaft, it still makes this terrible racket! Do you have this problem?

Ga_shrimp
04-26-2013, 09:14 PM
No problems with noise from the internal filter. I did change out for different filter pads to give better filtration. To answer the question by ag36, yes I have little ones in a couple of different groups. I will post pics once I get a chance.