PDA

View Full Version : New tank project

byork
02-07-2013, 06:40 PM
So I acquired a 120 gal tank which had a broken brace in the center of the frame. The tank came with a homemade stand and other odds and ends. When I went to pick it up I had endlers in it and was filled about 1/2 way with water and was in need of some cleaning. So I get the tank home and clean it and order the replacement frame. In prep for the new frame I removed the old one.

At that point I realize that some patch work has been done on the seals. This is not the best picture of the patching but its the only one that turned out.

So I reseal it and put the new frame on.

So I turn my attention to the stand. After great consideration I decided to salvage what I could from the old one. I wish I had taken a picture of it but here are some shots of what I turned it into.

I also have been working on a hood to match. This weekend I plan to start putting in the substrate (gravel, Eco complete, fluorite and sand with some other stuff mixed in) and working on a sump. I bought a brand new 45 long to use as a sump but i am having 2 nd thoughts. I have put it up for trade out of guilt. Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

byork
02-07-2013, 06:44 PM
I forgot to say the tank passed a 3 week water test.

chevybow
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I think I have a wet dry filter at my shop in the storage room, give me a call in the a.m. and remind me to look....770-868-1934 shop ....Donny

Perrin150
02-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey man, where did u get the frame? I just bought a 120 gallons tank and the frame is crack in all 4 corners and I want to change help me out with some info!!!!

byork
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/frames

Just call the number on the page. He is extremely helpful. Sadly only the big box stores can order the 6' frames and they won't because they want you to buy a new aquarium. So I purchased 2 36" frames. I think it turned out fine. When I filled it with water there was not any sign of bowing.

byork
02-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Well f***! I messed up! I started washing and scape the substrate. I afterward filled with water to start cycling. I get to the top and.....
The frame sagged 1/2"! So I drained it. I guess I will be going to Home Depot bright and early to get some things to fix this. I has been one those days!!!!! Any ideas are welcome.

byork
02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
So I fixed the frame. Lesson learned never ever ever use someone else's homemade anything to save a buck. The fix only cost $50 but I could have done it right from the start and made my life a ton (literally) easier!

geotek
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Will this be a planted aquarium? Since you mentioned scaping the substrate, I was curious. The plants you gave me are doing well, by the way.

byork
02-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes, it will be planted. Glad to hear the plants are doing well. The ones I got from you are doing well too. I am still debating exactly what I want to do. Thoughts? I was thinking South American varieties of flora and fauna but I love my Africans (and my outcast gourami :). I may move my Africans to the new aquarium and stick with african flora as close as I can. That will probably depend on the forums and upcoming auctions. Then do the South Americans in the 60. The Cory's seem to love the 60 and the only addition would be angels probably start with 6 and let them pair off (only 1 pair eventually). The Cory's are already showing spawning behavior. They are fascinating! How are yours?

geotek
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
I have a dozen green corydora fry that are about 5-6 weeks old and are about the size of RCS shrimp adults, and are eating shrimp pellets along with microworms. I just a had another dozen eggs show up yesterday so they are in their own breeder net to see if any of those hatch. My goal is to get a group of 2 dozen cories built up and then start trading extra cories for other cory species.

byork
02-13-2013, 08:47 PM
That sounds great. What do you think is the best way to spot the eggs? Mine seem to be all over the place under leaves, on stems, rocks. I can't wait to get them in there permanent residence in an upper display tank where I can keep a better eye on them. Do you have pics of your new fry?

geotek
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't have any good suggestions for egg spotting as my cories lay eggs in groups of half a dozen to a dozen, usually on the glass of the aquarium. It took a lot of practice, but I have gotten much better at scraping eggs off the glass with a razor blade and transferring them to a breeder net to the tetras can't eat the eggs. Do the breeding cories have a tank to themselves or will you have to relocate the eggs?

byork
02-14-2013, 07:02 AM
In a 60 I have 2 species of cories (9 fish in total), 3 plecos, and a ton of endlers. They all ignore each other even the 2 species of cories. I was going to remove the eggs. Maybe I am not getting to them fast enough and the larger species is eating the eggs of the smaller. The smaller species are the ones doing all the action. Do you think I should try separating them?

byork
02-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Or maybe just be a little more patience. They wanted to wait until Valentine's Day. 1703

geotek
02-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Nice clutch of eggs! I would put them either in a separate aquarium or a breeder net. Cory eggs are fairly tough, you can either scrape them off with a fingernail or gently roll them off of the rock. At least, I was able to do that when I removed eggs from a powerhead.

byork
02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
I put them in a breeder net, after removing them from the wall with a razor blade and net. That was a lot harder than it sounds. I really need to get this tank on the top of one of the stands. I only have about 4 inches clearance to work with and that is seriously complicating things! I did wake up to more eggs this morning, not as many this time just about 20. I am pretty sure that it is the spotted corys that are doing all the spawning. I really want the aeneus type to spawn. The females are really fat with eggs. Do you think it would be safe to do a cool water change with the eggs in the breeder? What would you do?

geotek
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I am no corydora expert, but if one species decided to lay eggs, perhaps the other species will in a few days. You could try waiting a few days to see if the aeneus lays. If that doesn't work, you could add just a few gallons of cool water and see what happens. My limited experience is that a few gallons of cool water works just as well as a 50% water change. Sometimes they spawn, sometimes not. As long as you don't change the water level a lot, I don't think it will affect the eggs. I've heard that the newly hatched fry are sensitive to changes in water level, though.

My technique with a razor blade is to start scraping on the glass a few inches before the eggs, to build up a little algae/biofilm on the blade before reaching the eggs. The eggs then seem to stick to the razor blade a lot better. I also let the blade rust a little, that also seems to help. LOL

Hopefully a corydora expert will chime in.

ronv
02-15-2013, 04:22 PM
When I want to get a good spawn of cories I put a group of adults in a small tank(like 10gal), with no other fish. After they spawn, take the adults out. Just let the eggs have the tank. I never could get the hang of scraping with a razor blade. Just let that 10 be the grow out tank.

byork
02-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Making progress on the new set up! Can't wait to move the 60 gallon. Slowly but surely.
As for the Corys the eggs hatched in the breeder net. Of course the clips on that stupid thing created tiny holes. So some escaped into the aquarium. The rest are doing well in a floating Rubbermaid container with daily water changes. They snack on bugs on hair algae, green water and liquified yoke. They are growing fast!

Hilde
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
They snack on bugs on hair algae, green water and liquified yoke.
Do you just use wate to loiquify the yoke of egg?

byork
03-07-2013, 05:37 AM
I read somewhere that they would eat green water and egg yoke, and the bugs that live in hair algae. Wherever I read that it told me to put water in a mason jar with green vegetables (spinach, zucchini, kale). I boiled the jar just like you would in the jarring process. Once the jar cooled I shook it a lot to brake the vegetables up. Then I used a flour sifter to strain out the chunks. I mixed the egg yoke with that "green water." They ate/eat it. They like the hair algae too.

byork
04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Well I recently had to go out off town for work. My husband watched my tanks for me. When I got home I can only find 3 of my Cory fry. I will get more but I am sad.

One the up side I have acquired a 29 gal to use for the sump. Just happens I already have a broken one waiting in the garage to be disassembled. Hopefully the sump will be completed by this Sunday. Then I can get things more in order.

I have been having a heck of a time with the lid. I think I have it and then...I change my design or hurt myself. Does anyone locally build/bend/make custom aluminum reflectors?

Hilde
04-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Does anyone locally build/bend/make custom aluminum reflectors?
Have you tried a hydroponics store?

Hoppy on planted tank has found that white paint provides good reflection. He tested it with a par meter.