PDA

View Full Version : 36 Gallon Angelfish Aquarium

GamingGal
02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm quite excited about my tank, so I decided to share it with you guys!

The tank itself is 36 gallons. I have a heater on it and a filter (although I need to desperately upgrade the filter) as well as a bubbler. I have gravel as my substrate. Decor wise I have two rather tall plastic plants and two medium size decorations, which are in the center.

Fish wise I have two cory cats, a Raphael catfish, 4 Kribensis, and 4 Angelfish (a marble, a black lace, a blue pinoey, and a plain one from Petsmart). There's also a mossball floating around in there. I know Kribensis can be fin-nippers, but I haven't run into any problems as of yet. I plan on moving them into a 29gal once I clean it and get a stand for it.

I hope to one day be able to breed the angels, they're beautiful and I plan to post pictures of everything soon.

So, that's my tank! Any advice would be welcome, especially on live plants. I think I read somewhere that Angels will eat/kill them? Also, sometimes I feel there isn't enough color in there. Could I add any fish for color?

Demonfish
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
My angels will occasionally nibble tender new growth, but mostly what they do is "aquascape". If they don't like the position of a leaf, they nip it off and let it fall or float away. You should be able to add live plants fine, but just don't expect to be the one to decide their shape.

When I had kribs and angels in 55, they ignored each other.

Don't overcrowd the tank. Stock it like a shorter tank. I wouldn't add more fish.

Pierre
02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
When (if) your Kribs spawn, they may go after the angels who are too close to the breeding location. My experience is that they just chase them until the angels stay away in the upper part of the tank. Initially I had two pairs of Kribs in a 36 and then one day I saw a juv. angel who had jumped from a tall 20 (do ask me how it did it!). The angel did fine learning his boundaries quickly when the Kribs spawned. He is now happier with his friends in the 120. Have 4 angels would also diffuse the harassment if any start.

Pierre

GamingGal
02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I finally was able to get some pictures of the tank and the fish. I decided to not add any fish for color because it's rather colorful as is. I'd love to be able to sex the Angelfish, but have no idea how. Not to mention two of them are rather young (3rd angelfish pic and last angelfish pic) and the other two are a bit older (first and second pic). I know I probably need a better filter for the tank, but it's what I have for the moment.

jayttrup
02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Wow, that looks really nice. I love the setup. I like the fish choice too, but I would separate the Raphael catfish from the cories once he gets to be about 4". I have one now and he is in my african cichlid tank. He constantly terrorizes the babies(he is only 2" lol). If you run into any problems with the kribs, I'd get rid of them and replace them with rams. Rams have just as much color and wouldn't even dream of bothering angels under any circumstance. Before I sold mine, I had 10 full grown rams in a tank with 6 angels that were the size of a nickel and smaller. Good luck!

geotek
02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
My experience with Angels and live plants is that, in general, Angels aren't too hard on them except for sunset and willow leaf hygrophila, the leaves of which rapidly develop big bite marks and then the plant disappears.
Having said that, what lighting does the tank have (type of light, wattage, spectrum, type of reflector)? How tall is the tank, how long?

Maybe I spoke too soon on the Angelfish not bothering my other plants, as I just noticed that a couple of small adults moved a large java fern over 3-4" to create a cave of sorts in a corner of the tank and now they are spending a lot of time in the cave. Hmmmnn.