PDA

View Full Version : Starting to Breed Apistos Please Help :]

fishbubbles
03-01-2013, 09:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on breeding these wonderful guys. Also I know I have a male for sure but someone sold me this one and said it was a female. I was hoping someone had a clue in the association. Thanks in advance!

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/ChickaMicka17/apisto.jpg

RLHam3
03-01-2013, 10:14 PM
looks pretty colorful for a female. are the first few ray of its dorsal fin longer than the rest of the fin, or the same length as the rest of the fin?

fishbubbles
03-01-2013, 10:43 PM
I thought so too. The rays are longer yes. But not by much. This fish is always shy so it never expands its dorsal fin much like my other apistos I've had. So usually the females do not have much color. That helps :)

Larry Bugg
03-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Usually the females are primarily yellow with some black markings. That is a male a cacatuoides. Either double or triple red. Can't see the anal fin well enough in the pic to tell.

Angeredbug
03-02-2013, 08:24 PM
looks pretty colorful for a female. are the first few ray of its dorsal fin longer than the rest of the fin, or the same length as the rest of the fin?
I agree withRlham3 that does look like a lot of color for the female. I have one female with a couple of spots on her tail but nothing like that. Sounds like you might have a sub male. I found that my apistos breed best after being feed live found. Give the females plenty of places to chose from to lay eggs. And only one male with multiple females. My males spent so much time chasing each other I think they were ignoring the females. When the female is ready with eggs she will turn bright yellow and very territorial.

fishbubbles
03-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Okay so I knew a friend that had a bunch of cacatoides so I saw this one and I think this is a female. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for the help so far everyone!

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/ChickaMicka17/female-1.jpg

Angeredbug
03-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Okay so I knew a friend that had a bunch of cacatoides so I saw this one and I think this is a female. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for the help so far everyone!

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/ChickaMicka17/female-1.jpg
Yes that is what a female should look like

Angeredbug
03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
When she's ready to lay eggs she'll turn bright yellow

fishbubbles
03-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Yay! Thank you for all your help!

Apisto Jim
03-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Temperature impacts the sex of apisto spawns. Above 72F creates more males, below more females. I overheard Larry say at the meeting that he had an abundance of male A. cacatuoides - that would be expected in a fishroom catering to discus.

Larry Bugg
03-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Temperature impacts the sex of apisto spawns. Above 72F creates more males, below more females. I overheard Larry say at the meeting that he had an abundance of male A. cacatuoides - that would be expected in a fishroom catering to discus.

Exactly!!

For a year or so I was working with Discus only and all my storage water and tanks were at 82. I sarted back breeding apistos, rams and angels in the last year of so and didn't make any big adjustments to the storage water or the apisto tanks for temp. I proved the statement that higher temps produce more males. I knew this in the past when I was breeding them but didn't think about it when I started breeding them again. I now have about 7 or 8 apisto tanks runnning so last week I turned down all the heaters in their tanks. I age 700 gallons of storage water for changes and have it heated to 82 for the discus. The feed into the storage tanks starts as soon as I start pumping water out of the totes (inlet is on float valves) so by the time I finish changing water on the discus tanks the storage water has cooled down. That will work great this time of year but once Summer get here it is a different issue. My fish room in in a unfinished basement and heaters or no heaters the water will be in the high 70's. Guess during the Summer I am just doomed to have spawns of males.

fishbubbles
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I guess I will need to try to breed and get females! Everyone I know only has males so far.