PDA

View Full Version : What are Some Tall, Easy to Grow Medium to Low Light Plants?

Garfieldnfish
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I am re-doing my 20 gal tall. It has sand substrate with some rounded rocks. I need to find some tall, easy to grow medium to low light plants that won't fall apart and melt like cabomba does on me regularily. I do not use CO2 and only fertilize with root tabs when I think about it which is rarely ever. I am sure vals would probably be good, but any other suggestions would be welcome. I am hoping to find something that will work at the Spring auction but I need to know what I should bid on.

kwseiders
03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Myriophyllum matogrossense, Hygrophila (several varieties), Limnophila sessiflora, Ceratopteris thalictroides (Water Sprite), Echinodorus cordifolius, Echinodorus bleheri, Hygrophila difformis, any Java Fern, and of course mosses, just to name a few.

Igster
03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Isn't ceratopteris hornwort? Ohhh, waitaminnit, I got it confused with Ceratophyllum *face smack* ;)

For some reason I have never had any luck with Vals or sagitaria...my echinos, sprite, moneywort, anubias and hygro all flourish. Yet, in my tanks in PR, I had giant val leaves that were over 6 ft long, with no CO2 at all...

geotek
03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Don't forger llimnophila sessilaflora, also know as ambulia.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=36&category=genus&spec=Limnophila

apache67
03-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Crypt Balansae. When you say easy, what is your idea of easy? Low-tech? Hi-tech?

4fursnme
03-31-2013, 02:30 PM
I have always had very good luck with anacharis/ elodea if it is in decent shape when you purchase it. Mine usually sprouts crazy roots in days and just thrives.
used to be $1.99 for a bunch when I was in upstate NY.

fluxxium
04-04-2013, 06:37 PM
I've had good luck with low light and Apons. When I used to run T5NOs, they basically starved the whole tank of light due to their size. Here's a picture of my tank right now, running CO2 and 3 sets of LEDs with 100+ PAR.

http://i.imgur.com/6rbxX4Sh.jpg

dixonga
04-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Java ferns and nubias all of the way. When it comes to real plants, I am a killer but for aquarium plants, these are the easiest to grow in my book