PDA

View Full Version : Discus in 75 gal Planted Tank

Garfieldnfish
03-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Are discus and plecos compatible? If I had space in 75 gal planted tank with plecos at the bottom but nothing else would a pair of discus do ok? Not necessarily for breeding but if they would, the plecos would not interfere. Would discus be ok? I really mostly want them for looks. The tanks are meant for breeding plecos and I want something to swim at the top and middle. Or would the discus eat pleco fry? Never had discus but I like the looks and I finally have the tank space for a pair if I move some fish around.

Demonfish
03-20-2013, 01:49 AM
Yes, I think discus would eat pleco fry if they can catch them. How armored are the little ones? Mouth-size rule applies. My angels ate full grown neons. plecos will also eat eggs and I'd guess the discus would consider plecoes a threat to eggs as my breeding angels killed the pleco right before they laid. But the GA aquarium had a big tank with plecos, discus and apsitos for a long time and there were discus eggs all over the place. But I didn't see any fry of any fish.

I think you could put plecos in there with good caves (my angel tank didn't have good solid cover) and maybe pull one or the other in the event of breeding.

RLHam3
03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
i should start this by saying that i have absolutely no personal experience keeping discus.

but i do have some experience with breeding and raising ancistrus plecos. as long as the tank is fairly heavily planted i have successfully grown out these plecos from hatching in the same tank as a breeding pair of : rainbow cichlids, hondurand red points, apistogramma cacatuoides, and jewel cichlids. i was under the impression that all of these cichlids were more aggressive than discus. (except the apistos).

i would say the most important thing for mine have been ample hiding spaces and possibly a population of dither or target fish to help distract the cichlids. (i use common guppies or gambusia as these are tough, but pose no real threat to the young plecos.

peathenster
03-20-2013, 10:43 AM
A 75g is plenty for a pair of discus. You can always remove pleco fry as they hatch so it's a smaller problem. It's unlikely that the discus would be aggressive toward adult plecos.

One thing to consider is that they are not always compatible in terms of temperature. Discus like to be in a hot tub whereas some plecos prefer cooler water.

ronv
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
What kind of pleco? I have heard reports of certain plecos developing a liking to discus slime as a food source.

pawslover
03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I have just recently starting keeping discus so others probably more real world experience with them. I have mine in a planted 75 with a group of grow out ABN with several pleco caves & some driftwood. I did my homework on the discus before getting them and purchased a group of 5 as they are social & like to shoal, supposedly. That said, my 2 colors split off & I have 2 red ones that are always together & 3 blue ones that stay together. I have not seen them pay any attention to the plecos or the cardinals in the tank. My plecos are not quite mature enough to spawn yet, but I think they have enough cover to be OK once they do. I may lose some to predation, but spawning them is not my primary intent. The tank is my display tank in my family room.

Garfieldnfish
03-20-2013, 03:53 PM
My 75 gal has 7 L316s and 3 male BNs in it. They like it warm. Temps are not a problem. But I forgot I still have one fully grown Chinese Algae eater in this tank and he might bother the discus. I plan on moving my old folks (1 silver dollar, 1 gourami and 1 minnow) to my 46 gal. But the CAE cannot go in there as I already have a CAE in the 46 gal and they do not get along. I had them in the same tank before and that did not go well. All my other tanks are too small for him. So until I loose one of the CAEs, the discus will have to wait. Both of my CAEs are over 6" and 8 years old, not something I would want to mix with discus.